Drake Ravensmith's build

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3
Number of books owned: 0

Drake Ravensmith's build

Post by Drake Ravensmith »

Hi all,

I first became interested in doing this last December. I spent a lot of time pouring over the Hardware sections of this site. Since the information on here is a bit scattered, I decided to write an instructional for the new standard scanner. That instructional will be completed tomorrow morning. As soon as a few users get back to me on allowing me permission to use a few of their photos, I'll post it. I'm not much of an author, but I hope you'll find it useful nonetheless. Apologies for this blurry photo. My good cameras are on the scanner and my basement lightning isn't up to the task of illuminating something that was painted specifically not to reflect light.
Attachments
_Drake Ravensmith.JPG
_Drake Ravensmith.JPG (72.26 KiB) Viewed 13463 times
Last edited by Drake Ravensmith on 14 Jun 2011, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Drake Ravensmith

Re: Drake Ravensmith's build

As promised the instructional is complete. I've never converted something to pdf before so I'm having a little trouble maintaining the page layout I was using when I wrote it up in MS Word. I still need to hear back from two board members on using their photos but as soon as I do I will post both the pdf and the original doc. I would ask that all questions wait until you've read through it.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm going to write more about this after I spend more time with it, but here are Drakes' Docs, which are not only Awesome but also HILARIOUS and informative. Awesome work Drake, thanks for coming back and sharing these with us. This will be recommended reading for anyone building a scanner.

EDIT: These are the most up-to-date versions:
http://diybookscanner.org/New_Standard_ ... ional2.pdf
http://diybookscanner.org/New_Standard_ ... ional2.doc
Drake Ravensmith

Edit: These mistakes were fixed.
Last edited by Drake Ravensmith on 02 Jul 2011, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I don't have Word handy so I can't just correct those for you, but if you email me corrected dox I can re-upload.

At some point I am going to set up a little file uploader for us so that we aren't stuck with the limitations of the forum software.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Just reading the original PDF... Personally, I don't read anything unless it has aliens, robots, or time travel :D Also, "easy to make" should be "easy-to-make". I'm going easy on you. You should see how nasty I can get, especially when I pay for words (my review is the one-star).

Other frowns, and then I'll leave you alone:

* awhile is an adverb. You can't say "for awhile", it has to be "for a while".
* One doesn't pour over a book, one pores over a book.

No, I don't proofread for a living, but I probably could :)

But in any case, I agree with Dan: funny, and a good guide.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
rob

Post by rob »

Also, you might add in the Tools section that you can find a local hackerspace (the more common name for community workshop, I guess) if you don't want to buy tools (see http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces). Hackerspaces vary in quality from "empty room with no tools and a smelly guy sleeping in the corner" to "fully-stocked machine shop with engineers on staff" (which I call a makerspace) so be sure to research your options.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Drake Ravensmith

rob wrote:Just reading the original PDF... Personally, I don't read anything unless it has aliens, robots, or time travel :D
Interesting that you should say that. I've just finished reading the first book in the most recent Doctor Who line. 42 more to go. The only books I plan to scan in the foreseeable future are new books in that line, the new Torchwood novels, and a few random DW books that weren't available to me digitally. Thanks for the grammar tips, that was always worst my subject in school. I like to joke that I don't know a gerund phrase from a hanging participle. I fixed my typos, copied your info on hackerspaces, and thanked you in the beginning. Daniel has the docs now.

Just for fun, would you proofread the guide if I wrote it entirely in Yoda-speak?

"Add more screws to the platen, you must, if stability you desire!"
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Aaaaand I've uploaded the proofed docs and edited my post above to reflect the new links.
rob

Post by rob »

Drake Ravensmith wrote:Just for fun, would you proofread the guide if I wrote it entirely in Yoda-speak?

"Add more screws to the platen, you must, if stability you desire!"
I'd rather chew aluminum foil :lol: