Musinf Book Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Musinf

Musinf Book Scanner

Post by Musinf »

Hello all,
Before building my own book scanner, I'm drafting plans (like most of you). So, I'm beginning with the plattern and I have some questions.
How to choose sizes (dimensions ?) for the plattern ? For example, I'm sure I will digitalise vinyl cover (32cm/32cm = 12.5"/12.5") or old newspapers (27cm/51cm = 10.6"/20"). I'm afraid that if the plattern (with the glass) is too big, it will be too heavy. I want to use rails for the vertical displacement (is it the good word ?) like the third version of Dan's BookScanner : will the rails be able to endure a such weigh ?
And for glass ? Glass or plexiglass ? What kind of glass you choose ?
Thank's in advance !

Paul.
Comment choisir les dimensions pour ce support ? Par exemple, je suis sûr que je vais numériser des couvertures de vinyl (32cm/32cm = 12.5"/12.5") ou de vieux journaux (27cm/51cm = 10.6"/20"). Je crains que si le support de plaquage est trop grand, il sera trop lourd. J'ai envie d'utiliser des rails pour le déplacement vertical comme la 3e version du bookscanner de Dan : les rails seront-ils capables d'encaisser un tel poids ?
Et la vitre ? Vitre ou plexiglan ? Quel type de vitre avez-vous choisi ?
Merci par avance !
Musinf

Re: Musinf Book Scanner

Post by Musinf »

Re-hello for today,
The beginning of the beginning... just on my computer !
I have a question : is it possible to cutting an angle of 55° on the glass (total angle of 110°) in order to obtain a perfect result ?
_____
Re-bonjour pour aujourd'hui,
Le commencement du commencement... simplement sur mon PC !
J'ai une question : est-il possible de couper la plaque de verre avec un angle de 55° (pour un angle total de 110°) dans le but d'obtenir un résultat parfait ?
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (16.06 KiB) Viewed 12530 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (15.54 KiB) Viewed 12530 times
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (12.01 KiB) Viewed 12526 times
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (15.65 KiB) Viewed 12526 times
Last edited by Anonymous on 06 Mar 2010, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Congrats on starting your project!
Musinf wrote:Re-hello for today,
The beginning of the beginning... just on my computer !
I have a question : is it possible to cutting an angle of 55° on the glass (total angle of 110°) in order to obtain a perfect result ?
Many glass or picture-frame making shops can produce a bevel, but it is usually 45 degrees.

If you do that, you will encounter another problem -- the beveled edge is a prism, which will reflect light onto the other page. My suggestion to you is to use straight glass, or 45 degree beveled glass, and to fill the small gap with something like black glue or black caulking, or even a small strip of rubber or felt.
Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Antoha-spb »

Hi!

For a platen that presses the book pages from the scanned side (i.e. upper one in your design) plexiglass is fine, but u need to find one that is translucent enough to ensure best contrast. Also it's good to find a plexiglass that is heat/UV resistant (i.e. not getting yellowish in couple of months in use).

In all other aspects plexiglass is definitely better than glass. You can easily make (or order from a shop) a L-angled platen of required size with rounded edges. It will not be heavy and not break into pieces if falls on the hard surface or when transported without much care. Making holes for mounting screws in plexiglass is same easy as with any other plastic.

To me plexiglass is a kind of ideal material for crafting. In my next model i will avoid using any wood and will minimize metal in favour of plexiglass of different kinds.

A.
Musinf

Post by Musinf »

Daniel and Antoha, tanks for your help.
This morning, I worked hard ! I drawn plans for my father, it's him who will build pieces. He's a very good advisor. Dad was the first who talk me about plexiglass for the platen. I'm happy, with plexiglass, it will be more easy.
In the third image, the red material is Double-sided tape. With plexiglass, it will be sufficient (I hope). I ever use it to hand pictures at home, there is Double-sided tape of very good quality. At worst I will use screws to fix all that ! (Thanks to Daniel for correction)
____
Daniel et Antoha, merci de votre aide.
Ce matin, j'ai travaillé dur ! J'ai dessiné des plans pour mon père, c'est lui qui construira les pièces. C'est un très bon conseillé. Papa est le premier qui a evoqué le plexiglass pour le platen. Je suis content, avec le plexiglass, ça sera plus facile.
Sur la troisième image, la matière rouge est du scotch double-face. Avec le plexiglass, ça sera suffisant (je l'espère). J'en ai déjà utilisé à la maison pour accrocher des tableaux aux murs, il existe de l'adhésif double-face de très bonne qualité. Au pire, j'utiliserai des visses pour fixer tout ça !
Image_01.jpg
Image_01.jpg (12.32 KiB) Viewed 12498 times
Image_03.jpg
Image_03.jpg (10.4 KiB) Viewed 12498 times
Image_04.jpg
Image_04.jpg (17.33 KiB) Viewed 12498 times
Last edited by Anonymous on 06 Mar 2010, 05:14, edited 2 times in total.
sixtysix

Post by sixtysix »

What is the ideal thickness for the plexiglass?
Musinf

Post by Musinf »

The ideal thickness for plexiglass ??? A very good question !
I have a week of holidays, so I work hard on my project. Tomorrow, I will go to ski on the Alpes for 2 days !!! Yahoo.
The book support (is it the good word ?) will be fixed on rail (like the third BS of Daniel). As you can see, I will use 2 wooden dowels (?) for the horizontal displacement of the right book support. The left will be definitively fixed with screws. I will drill a lot of holes : in this type of concept, it's possible to have de displacement margin of 2 millimeters !
What are your commentaries ? Thanks all !
Image_07.jpg
Image_07.jpg (11.12 KiB) Viewed 12439 times
Image_08.jpg
Image_08.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 12439 times
Image_09.jpg
Image_09.jpg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 12439 times
Image_10.jpg
Image_10.jpg (15.18 KiB) Viewed 12439 times
Image_11.jpg
Image_11.jpg (13.94 KiB) Viewed 12439 times
Image_12.jpg
Image_12.jpg (12.77 KiB) Viewed 12439 times
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

So far, so good... most people are using 1/8" or thicker glass/plastic. 3mm to 5mm or 1/8" to 1/4" seem to be OK. Thinner is better, usually.
The book support (is it the good word ?)
Usually for this type of scanner it is called a "cradle".
Musinf

Post by Musinf »

Hello all, this is my last ideas about the vertical rail. It's the beginning, I continue. What do you think about this type of technik ? Thank's
___
Bonjour tout le monde, voici mes dernières idées concernant les rails verticaux. C'est le début et je continue. Que pensez-vous de cette méthode ? Merci
Image_14.jpg
Image_14.jpg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
Image_15.jpg
Image_15.jpg (37.76 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
Image_17.jpg
Image_17.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 12375 times
Image_19.jpg
Image_19.jpg (32.44 KiB) Viewed 12375 times
Image_20.jpg
Image_20.jpg (42.3 KiB) Viewed 12375 times
Last edited by Anonymous on 06 Mar 2010, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead »

On my scanner I have slided some what like this. I have found that they don't slide at the same rate, so it makes them slightly off. I think you may get binding when you slide the platen up and down.