Cubism One Build by Darryl Smith

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

vk2tds

Cubism One Build by Darryl Smith

Post by vk2tds »

Greetings All

Attached is the description of my book scanner design, which I call Cubism One. It is based on aluminum extrusion, and is designed to be able to be by parts from the local hardware store where ever possible.

I have not yet worked out lighting, and the counterweight system is not great. But it might provide some ideas for people building their own units.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Darryl
Attachments
Cubism One by Darryl Smith.pdf
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 671 times
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Cubism One Build by Darryl Smith

Post by daniel_reetz »

Darryl, I love it. The writeup is great -- even as a work in progress -- and the plexiglass slide, shots of your early scanner, and "things that didn't work" section are valuable. The simplicity of your current camera mount system is something that would help people get started, I think.

One thing -- when you have time, can you shoot a kind of "establishing shot" showing the whole rig with platen in place? And if you're really strapped for things to do, can you show your platen going up or down in several pics or a video? I think your design lends itself to that kind of presentation -- just my opinion.

I love the clamp construction. Quite a few of us have discovered the half-jillion ways to use clamps on these things. Weights -- that's new to me.

I'm attaching a picture from the PDF. I know the file attachment system here is pretty cumbersome, but if you share pictures directly in the thread, it seems to help stimulate discussion.
Cubism_Overview.jpg
Cubism_Overview.jpg (105.8 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Cubism One Build by Darryl Smith

Post by daniel_reetz »

Also, this guy has a similar build -- I think the two of you, plus Spamsickle, could start a kind of "cube scanner clan". :)