2 Cameras, 1 Power Supply.

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

Afish

Re: 2 Cameras, 1 Power Supply.

Post by Afish »

daniel_reetz wrote:IIRC it is the EIAJ-01 connector 2.35 X 0.7 mm

Thanks Daniel. The connector can be ordered here http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kob ... aWlg%3D%3D

This part has current rating of 2A and a voltage rating of 3.15 V. Will connecting this to a computer powersupply overheat the part due to the greater amperage available? Also the powersupply 3.3 V line is also slightly higher than the connectors voltage rating although I think the cameras will do fine with 3.3 V.

And alas, as I can get the AC power adapters for 10.99 shipped each there is not much to be saved due to the shipping costs on the connectors.

But if one could get the connectors cheaply and have a spare computer powersupply this might be worth pursuing.
lmp1054

Post by lmp1054 »

Hey,

Dug up this post, I'm currently at $94.98 into my $110 budget for building my rig. I found that n70 are the correct plug but seam to not have enough power to keep the camera on. It will turn it on even light up the display and extract the lens but immidiatly turns off, but for $3 its cheaper then just buying the plug. I'll be looking into a solution. When my 2 power chargers come in.
lmp1054

Post by lmp1054 »

mutantstrain wrote:Strange... on the camera itself (Canon a590is) it say it needs 3.1volts, but I found that to be inadequate.

I had an old 5v camera charger and experimented with various resistors and VOM to drop the voltage. Funny ... nothing less than 5volts works!

Therefore my conclusion: One 5v dc camera charger works fine for both cameras!
Can you tell me the specs? Amps?

This would be great if it worked, because I have a 4 port usb hub, that I plan to butcher to make a trigger but if i can use the 2 auxiliary ports to power the camera this would be great.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

I've been testing a Kodak AC-KWS0325 spliced, powering 2 Canon A590IS cameras
Specs on this AC brick: 3V, 2A. Amperage is key I think, but who knows if there's different power boards on these cameras.

I haven't tried this, but one idea is leaving a set of rechargeable AA in the cameras when power draw on both cams is heavy? I know when running on batteries, you plug it in, it switches over to AC draw. Maybe this works the other way, worth a shot.

Think about how long your power supply cords are, the distance power travels from the brick, their gauges, the quality of the power cords.

I've made 10,000+ scans on 1 AC brick, very stable, not freezing, or crashing so far. One thing I do notice is after offloading images to my computer when I switch 'hard drive mode' to 'shoot mode', the cameras power down. Otherwise, they operate like clockwork during workflow.
translucent1
E-book readers owned: kindle 1, kindle 2
Number of books owned: 300

Post by translucent1 »

I'm also using a single DC supply for both of my cameras (Canon A640). Even though the camera DC jack is labeled 4.3V, I did some testing with a benchtop power supply and discovered that with anything less than 4.7V the camera will display "Change the Batteries" on the LCD and then turn off. I ended up using a 5V 2.5A supply to run both cameras, and it's working perfectly.

If anyone else has A640's you can get the connectors from digi-key for $0.84
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/103265 ... p-014.html