No remote switch needed!

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

Tim

No remote switch needed!

Post by Tim »

Those out there like me that don't have the electronics skills to wire their own remote switch will like this. I successfully used one of the CHDK motion detection scripts to detect when I moved the platen to flip a page, then setting a custom timer causes the camera to delay taking a picture until I've finished flipping the page. The only script that worked for my Powershot SD600 was the fast motion detection script linked from here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts
If you're lucky, one of the motion detection scripts will work on your camera.

I'll give the procedure, hopefully I don't miss anything:
1. Unlock the CHDK SD card, copy the appropriate script into your scripts directory on the card, then relock and replace the card in the camera.
2. Load the script in the camera by pulling up the CHDK menu, go to Scripting parameters, then load script. To get to the CHDK menu, enter CHDK mode (on my camera it's the printer link button, I'm not sure if they differ), then press the menu button.
3. Set the custom delay timer's number of delay seconds using the Canon menus. (4 seconds or so seems to work fine, and the print link button will allow you to get back to the Canon menus)
4. Set the camera into delay timer mode using the appropriate camera buttons.
5. Set the AF lock if you have that, or focus manually if you're so lucky to have it.
6. Set the appropriate parameter values. For the fast motion detection script, I used all the defaults except a threshold of 80.
7. Enter CHDK mode with the appropriate button if not already there. (It's the printer link button on my camera, not sure if they differ)
8. Run the script. (Depress the shutter button) Moving the platen will trigger the script, then it will take a picture after the custom delay you set.
9. End the script. (Depress the shutter button again.)

The order of the steps will vary a little bit when re-running the script, depending on whether you've gotten out of CHDK menu mode or loaded a different script, but you get used to it soon enough. Using the camera's custom delay timer is a bit of a cludge, but it works. I posted on the CHDK forum to ask why the script shoot delay parameter didn't work before I figured out the built in delay worked.

I thought this was pretty cool since it means you don't need a remote switch and don't have to press a button each time, but it does mean you're on a timer to flip the page once you lift the platen. That is, of course, unless some enterprising soul can hack the script to start counting when motion has stopped.
univurshul

Re: No remote switch needed!

Post by univurshul »

Excellent work and review. I too, use CHDK on my scanners, and will finally dig into this firmware and explore it's potential.

Thank you.
jcperkins

Post by jcperkins »

Would it be possible to post or send me the script you found for the motion detector for the SD600? The link provided on the wiki page goes to an "account suspended" page now. I am eager to try out the motion detection on the SD600, and this seems like the best option.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yeah, they are having trouble with their forum site apparently it's just down right now. It's a little long to post. PM me your email address and I can try to email it to you. I'm working on combining that script with another that detects the absence of motion to have a script that will arm when you move the platen, then take the picture as soon as you set it back down and it's not moving anymore. That would be more ideal than facing a timer.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Tim

Post by Tim »

Which reminds me, I should post the direct links to the scripts so that anyone with the skills can combine them. This is a direct file download link to the the script I referred to above, that you can use with the Canon menu timer to get decent results now. And here is a link to a forum post with the anti-motion detection script that takes a picture as soon as motion stops. They're written in basic, so I think I can manage figuring them out, but if someone beats me to it, all the better.
jepoy

Post by jepoy »

Thank you for posting this Tim. This script along with an Eye-Fi make for a nearly wireless scanning set up. The only problem is that I haven't figured out how to upload the raw file instead of the jpeg with the Eye-Fi.
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

Which model Eye-Fi do you have? According to the Eye-Fi site, only the Pro version supports uploading raw files.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yeah, and even then I'm not sure the Pro version would send the raw file that CHDK creates, whether it's in the DNG format or the default. Is the Eye-Fi working with CHDK now anyway? But if you have a compatible DSLR, you should be all set with the Pro card.
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

It actually looks like there's some official support from the Eye-Fi people for CHDK. I didn't see any word on raw specifically, but it sounds like it would probably work as long as the raws are being written to standard folders by the camera.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.