Pads' Scanner Build Project

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Re: Pads' Scanner Build Project

Post by StevePoling »

Hey, is it cheating to buy teflon sheets from Small Parts, Inc.? I used to get teflon from them back during my telescope building days.

Googling found this. http://www.smallparts.com/s?searchNodeI ... ion=submit
adampadsadam

Post by adampadsadam »

thanks for the ideas guys
its true that the cradle slide is not massively important but i have having fun seeing how good i can get it whilst remaining simple, cheap and light...
smallparts looks like a rad website thanks for the link!

any other alternative suggestions to toolbox liner that you guys have experimented with would also be appreciated :)

sweet as! happy building brothers and sisters
adampadsadam

Post by adampadsadam »

I looked into buying the acrylic needed for scanner in my town today, and also contacted a few fabrication places. It turned out to be alot cheaper to have a plastic shop (in the nearest big city) supply and make the complete platen! bonus!
If anyone is in Australia, or even better Perth/WA give me a PM and Ill pass on the guys contact details. Less than $50Aud all up for materials and professional build compared to $80Aud for the sheets needed at local hardware store.
adampadsadam

Post by adampadsadam »

I finished my scanner this weekend. I will post more in depth pics and descriptions over the next few days.
Due to lack of funds I ended up making a scanner that only required one camera - thus a different angle on platen.
The platen is polycarbonate - i bent it myself using a paint stripper gun.
I added a small rubber dot to one side of the platen to automatically turn the pages for me - this lifts the page and then the air forces created along the way usually turn the page perfectly. works good about 85% of the time. stoked with that idea.
also, i mounted the light on the back of the camera mount thingy - this is to solve the reflection problem that comes with the angle of my platen. although it doesnt really look like it in the pic it works great, no reflection and a good light supply to work with. it is just a flourescent lamp i had lying around but i will eventually replace with leds when i have the time/extra cash.
sorry this is so brief - got heaps of work to do!!!
i will post more pics of the scanner and of the photo/processing stages. i am using breeze sys to trigger the cam and save directly onto my comp, then running the pics through snapter, and finally doing some batch colour/contrast tweaks using gimp. The results have been great so far.

The scanner in all its glory (minus camera that i am using to take pic):

An example of final scan output using steps briefly described above the image and colors are really bad because of the low quality pic i uploaded sorry it is beautiful in real life:
fbonomi

Post by fbonomi »

adampadsadam wrote: I added a small rubber dot to one side of the platen to automatically turn the pages for me - this lifts the page and then the air forces created along the way usually turn the page perfectly. works good about 85% of the time. stoked with that idea.
Can you explain this better?

is it a sticker that you have placed below the platen?

does it lift the page just by being "rubbery" ?

thanks
you1

Post by you1 »

"small rubbery dot"!

I guess I missed that; Thanks for seeing that fbonomi.
I like to hear more about it too...
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

rpooh52

Post by rpooh52 »

That's about the most elegant thing I've seen. Does the camera mount at the top for 2 page shot or is it a tripod and a single page shot?

rpooh52
Afish

Post by Afish »

Great idea on the small rubber dot. Can you be more specific such as product name and where to get it. 85 percent is a great starting number to work from. What happpened on the other 15 percent? Will two dots increase the percentage or do you need something to push the page?