Microsoft Kinect: infrared depth maps for dewarping?

DIY Book Scanner Skunk Works. Share your crazy ideas and novel approaches. Home of the "3D structure of a book" thread.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Microsoft Kinect: infrared depth maps for dewarping?

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks!

I was going to use IR goggles, but I think I may just mod a Powershot for IR sensitivity..

I have ALL the Kinect-related patents, articles, etc, and I am going to read them tonight and tomorrow and see what I can find out. I'll also just try some crude stuff. Had to run a lot of errands today so I didn't get much more done. And I have to make progress on that new scanner, too... time's a wastin.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

Come to think of it, why isn't it already IR sensitive? I know I use my cell phone on the IR remotes in my house to tell if the batteries are dead. I just tried aiming the remote at a wall, and in that case pointing my cell phone camera at the wall shows a smear of light from the remote. I'd think maybe if it was an IR laser instead of an IR LED, I'd see a spot on the wall. Maybe this is a case of "just try it -- no mod required."
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

spamsickle wrote:Come to think of it, why isn't it already IR sensitive? I know I use my cell phone on the IR remotes in my house to tell if the batteries are dead. I just tried aiming the remote at a wall, and in that case pointing my cell phone camera at the wall shows a smear of light from the remote. I'd think maybe if it was an IR laser instead of an IR LED, I'd see a spot on the wall. Maybe this is a case of "just try it -- no mod required."
Now, what fun would that be??? But to be sure, that's the right way to think about it. For your pleasure:

Before modding:
Before_IMG_0129.jpg
Before_IMG_0129.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 13946 times
After modding:
After_IMG_0126.jpg
After_IMG_0126.jpg (222.15 KiB) Viewed 13946 times
That difference is all because of this IR cut filter, which blocks IR. It does a pretty good job, though certainly some IR still gets through. CHECK OUT MY SWEET CLEAN ROOM:
IR_Filter_In_Place_IMG_0116.jpg
IR_Filter_In_Place_IMG_0116.jpg (133 KiB) Viewed 13946 times
I took it out by simply breaking it, this is the characteristic color of an IR filter:
IR_Filter_Removed_IMG_0117.jpg
IR_Filter_Removed_IMG_0117.jpg (140.01 KiB) Viewed 13946 times
I am so happy and hacky right now. AND I have a pot of tasty soup in my new slow-cooker. YEAH>
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

My God ... It's full of stars!
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

spamsickle wrote:My God ... It's full of stars!
LOLYES

Aright, here are some sample data from the Kinect. Sorry for the crap format etc. I took no care in making things straight or nice, just wanted to get some stuff out here:
Attachments
Screenshot-9.png
Screenshot-8.png
Screenshot-7.png
Screenshot-6.png
Screenshot-5.png
Screenshot-4.png
Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-1.png
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm attaching pics of the mod process for people who might be curious. Eventually I'll write it up on my blog.

Man, I feel SO INVIGORATED. Hacking is what I live for.
Attachments
Powershot_A540_Infrared_Mod_thumbs.zip
(3.81 MiB) Downloaded 699 times
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

Y'know, I'm no expert, but those pictures of the book look like they'll do the "depth map" job. Of course, I'm still not up to the job of unwarping the image of the page with it. Oh Rob....
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

They do look pretty good, but not great. Some things to note:

1. The range data in this example are being scaled according to some arbitrary function. In other words, it's uncalibrated. Kyle McDonald has some thoughts on this. Better scaling should result in better... results.

2. The depth resolution is not that great -- can't say for sure how much.

3. I fired up MATLAB and took a slice through the book depth map and plotted it. Don't be turned off by this plot, as I mentioned above it's not scaled correctly. But it is interesting.

I need to get on top of some open source graphing/plotting tools like NumPy; I really hate switching over to windows just to clunk around in Matlab.
Attachments
line.jpg
line.jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 13936 times
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

I guess going from page image + depth map to flat page image is essentially an inverse texture mapping operation.

Those mod pictures are scary looking. If I tried that, I'd end up with a pile of stripped screws and a camera that would never work again.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I always forget to put some screws back in. When I was a kid, my dad told me the remaining screws were called "shipping screws". :D
shipping_screws_IMG_0119.jpg
shipping_screws_IMG_0119.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 13926 times
I have taken apart enough stuff in my life that I have absolutely no fear of anything. I'm just getting into taking apart lenses now. Bought a half-dozen broken ones on eBay... really want to see what all the elements look like, how they are designed, etc.

I need a week off, is what I need.