A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by daniel_reetz »

Or you can simply set up a cardboard box scanner of the right size.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

daniel_reetz wrote:Or you can simply set up a cardboard box scanner of the right size.
For 20 ledgers? Brutal! :) But it can be done!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Fab52
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Fab52 »

Hi,

Thanks Rob and Dan for the infos. The 20 ledgers is an estimate, it can be less. The county concil meet one's a month and the minutes most of the time are a page to a page and a half, let say 20 pages a year over a 100 years period equal a wooping 2000 pages.... Millage may vary !!!

I will be using my nikon d90 for the shooting, any idea of the prime lens I should be using to do the job ???

What is the best angle for the cradlle if I made it of wood???

See you

fab
carassius

Post by carassius »

Hi Daniel!
I will most likely get the material to build one of your "old fashioned" scanners, as I pointed out in my very first post, but I am really really interested in this latest beauty you have constructed and built. Is there any chance to be able to get this product to Germany? Do you ship it and if so, how much will it be? I do not have any need of cameras and lights as your plugs will not fit over here anyway, not to speak of 120 V vs. 240 V.
Thanks a lot,
Carlos
Fab52
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Fab52 »

Hi guys,

Here's some photos of my future book scanner... I give the order yesterday morning at 8 am. and this guy is working on it tonight, the photo was taken at 7;00 pm E.S.T. I realy like guy dedicated to ther passion.... This is probably the first cut of the version 0.9.10 of your book scanner, Dan and Rob in Canada. Enjoy ;-))))

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/d ... directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/n ... directlink

I hope everything will be fine... I'll keep you updated.

Fab
revwarguy
E-book readers owned: samsung 10.1 tablet
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by revwarguy »

I have a DIY CNC, but like many others, it will not handle a 4x4 sheet, so I am redoing the 0.9.10 .crv files for placement on 4 2x4 sheets. I have some questions:

The 0.9.10 sheets have 3 parts each (shelf, and two supports) for both the LED lighting as well as the round flood lights, but only one set is needed, correct? (Actually, you could make the supports for the lighting shelf the same for both shelf types.)

What are the 4 holes along the bottom of the large platen sides for? I don't see them in any pictures or in the sketchup, and I don't see anything that attaches to them.

One of the sketches shows a small irregular shaped block attached to the bottom of both sides of the large platen sides. What are they for, and should those be included in the 0.9.10 drawings? They are not there now.

P.S. A $10 shroud could be had from a plastic outdoor air conditioner cover - they come in various sizes, but they are usually silver looking. Could be sprayed black inside. If you really want black plastic, similar covers for BBQ grills are available in various sizes and are usually black and more rugged, but they are also more expensive.

P.P.S. It would be helpful to arrange the parts on the sheets so that they could be easily cut in subsheets as they are - i.e. draw an imaginary line across the center of both 4x4 sheets and don't let the parts cross over the lines. Not complaining, mind you, just a suggestion!
rob

Post by rob »

revwarguy wrote:The 0.9.10 sheets have 3 parts each (shelf, and two supports) for both the LED lighting as well as the round flood lights, but only one set is needed, correct? (Actually, you could make the supports for the lighting shelf the same for both shelf types.)
Right, you only need one shelf (I've been calling it the light plate) and two supports. Again, I highly recommend going with the LED light plate.
revwarguy wrote:What are the 4 holes along the bottom of the large platen sides for? I don't see them in any pictures or in the sketchup, and I don't see anything that attaches to them.
Those are mounting points for the light supports. The middle two holes are for when you use the halogen light supports, and the outer two holes are for the LED supports. I haven't gotten that far in the assembly manual :)
revwarguy wrote:One of the sketches shows a small irregular shaped block attached to the bottom of both sides of the large platen sides. What are they for, and should those be included in the 0.9.10 drawings? They are not there now.
The sketchup model is highly out of date. That block was originally there to provide more support, but it is not needed.
revwarguy wrote:P.P.S. It would be helpful to arrange the parts on the sheets so that they could be easily cut in subsheets as they are - i.e. draw an imaginary line across the center of both 4x4 sheets and don't let the parts cross over the lines. Not complaining, mind you, just a suggestion!
That is a very interesting idea -- I'll play around with the drawings. Another idea I had was to stick all the larger parts on one 4x4, and then the smaller parts an another 4x4 which can be split into several 1x4 pieces, since baltic birch comes in 5x5 sheets, and you're always going to end up with a whole bunch of 1x4 and 1x5 pieces left over.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
rob

Post by rob »

Fab52 wrote:Here's some photos of my future book scanner...
Wow, the cuts look exactly like mine here in Philadelphia. It's gratifying to see the files being used on someone else's machine!
rob

Post by rob »

carassius wrote:Is there any chance to be able to get this product to Germany? Do you ship it and if so, how much will it be?
Hi Carlos,

Please add your location to your profile -- Germany is a big place! The best option would be to find a hackerspace near you that has a CNC machine. Then it wouldn't cost anything to ship, because it would be a file, not a big 18 kg package. The cost to ship a package would be USD 430, which is more than a little insane.

--Rob
wolverinenw
E-book readers owned: Kindle (2nd Gen)
Number of books owned: 500

Post by wolverinenw »

Hi All - I was perusing the threads / shopping list related to the 0.9.10 scanner build, and was wondering if anyone had the dimensions or a part number / source for the L-brackets retaining the platen glass?