A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by rob »

Fab52 wrote:I try to order the L bracket from McCaster-Carr yesterday... :oops:

They don't ship in Canada anymore...What happen with the free trade agreement ????
Yeah, the whole story about why McMaster decided not to ship outside the US anymore is that in the late 90s and early 2000s they shipped parts to some Arab countries who requested restrictions on sourcing due to their anti-Israeli boycott, but did not report the boycott to the U.S. Government. McMaster was fined $8,000 by the U.S. Government for failing to report an unsanctioned foreign boycott. At that point, McMaster gave up shipping outside the U.S., because apparently it was too much work for them to just look at each order to see if there were any requested restrictions. See: http://efoia.bis.doc.gov/antiboycott/vi ... s/a659.pdf

Fastenal sells an 80/20 L-bracket with slot (SKU 0961373) but it is expensive -- nowhere near the USD 0.57 that McMaster charges.

I've just never seen this simple part anywhere except McMaster. I suppose I'm willing to buy a whole bunch and then send them out to anyone who wants a set.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
rob

Post by rob »

daniel_reetz wrote:Somebody (and that would be me) really needs to commend Rob for his incredible work on this machine lately. He's really gone the extra mile making documentation, programming the new artwork, working out bugs AND selling really, really great kits.
Validation that my existence isn't futile! Woohoo! *dance* Thanks, Dan.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Fab52
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Fab52 »

Hi,

As mention earlier in this thread, I pick-up my new scanner kit last monday. It is not perfect, but I think we can learn from this.

The guy who accept to take the challenge of cutting my new scanner was a gentleman. I visit 3 custom CNC shops before, none was ready to take the challenge at a fair price. I find Phillipe over the internet small ads. We strike the deal by e-mail.... no upfront money ask. Kind of a blind date... :D

I do not expect a perfect kit from this first cut since I could rely only on the .dxf and .psf files given here and have no experience with a CAD, I do not have a CAD program to read the .dxf. I know nothing about CNC wood router, like we say over here I could'nt tell the tail from the head of this machine.

My goal was, if Phillipe could cut something with the infos I give him, even if it's not perfect... I will be happy as long as I can salvage what he does .....

Ok here's the first scanner I build from carboard box based on Daniel plan.....

Well, nothing special here, a cardboard box, a camera ,on a dumpster find tripod (the head of the tripod was gone), a piece of glass from old aluminium window, an early 20 century light stand... A 5000 k/2000L fluo bulb..... realy,realy basic... I know, I know the floor and the hooded craddle in the background get your attention more then the set-up.... Nevermind I was able to scan the 1881 Belden Atlas (19" X12") with this set up and the help of Scan Tailor...

I was smilling when I find this cardborad box ....

Get Inspire ,Create and Share a perfect box to make a book craddle for DIY scanner ....

Ok, here's a photo taken by Phillipe last friday night when he was working at my scanner.

This is the monster CNC router who cut it.

Packing the kit for me.

Here's the bundle...

Now, here's the parts I will have to re-work.

What is the problem here ????

The next one is my fault I do not know we have to flip the sheet, so I ended up with bearing pocket on side only for those arms.

There is no notes on the .psd for those arms so I will have to make the bearings pockets myself. ;)

The two last ones are programming error for sure....

Here's the first one:

I could fix this one with my gigsaw....

The last one:

Here I have the choice, table saw, router or shaper....

Could we learn something from my experience ???

Could we improved some part of the process from my first cut ???

See You !!!!

Fab,
P.S. English is a second language for me, you can laugh at me or help me improved....
rob

Post by rob »

Hi Fab,

That is a very appropriate box to use for the cardboard box scanner! And the floor is awesome.

Anyway, the pulleys are probably my fault. It's really not obvious how to cut the pulleys, although the .png images show the result. I'm going to have to simplify that. Also, I think a note in the file about what the fixtures are for, and that the arms have to be flipped, would help.

For the bearing pockets, you can use a 7/8" spade bit in a drill press. I'm not sure what the metric equivalent would be. 22 mm is a tiny bit too small, but on the other hand, spade bits aren't very precise, so it will probably work. Try it!

The other two problems really are programmer problems. Obviously the inner part of the big faces have to be cut out -- those are shown in the .png files! If you give the guy a list of the things he needs to fix, the next run will be perfect. It took me a few tries to get things perfect.

Now, for the two braces (there's a tall front brace which is the one in your picture, and a smaller back brace) -- measure the length of your pieces. The tall front brace needs to be about 24.4 inches (about 620 mm) long, and the smaller back brace needs to be about 25.8 inches (about 656 mm) long. If they are, then your pieces can be saved. Otherwise they need to be cut again.

For the front brace, to a depth of about 0.5 inches (12 mm), from each side remove about 0.71 inches (18 mm) so that the ends are thinner. 18 mm is the thickness of the plywood! The depth is not critical, but you want to leave at least 0.2 inches (5 mm) of material, otherwise the screw heads won't have enough to hold on to.

For the back brace, also to the same depth, from each side remove about 1.4 inches (36 mm) so that the ends are thinner. 36 mm is the thickness of two pieces of plywood.
Nehpets

Post by Nehpets »

The problem I have is the CNC router does all the operations that are necessary, but one by one, (drilling, engraving, cutting).
Als drilling is always done with the same height (z axis) on the whole layer.
So I am making the separate layers for the different operations and depths, and i will share these here as soon as I am done with them (and if the result satisfy's).
The fixations is actually a great idea Ronb, but your right, you should do a little explanation.
Maybe, an intro chapter (I.Materials) in your assembly manual.
If you would want my help with it, I could send you some ideas on it in the coming week.
M@rtijn

Post by M@rtijn »

Is it possible to document cnc router programming by model / type and re-use it? Would it be workable to collect the programmings of the different types of routers used by builders once the final 1.0 version is in production? This would be to save on programming cost if cnc operators would agree on this.
rob

Post by rob »

Separate layers in the AI file and the DXF file (if possible) is a very good idea! If you can do it, I'd like to include your files in the release. That way it will be obvious which operation goes with which line.
revwarguy
E-book readers owned: samsung 10.1 tablet
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by revwarguy »

M@rtijn wrote:Is it possible to document cnc router programming by model / type and re-use it? Would it be workable to collect the programmings of the different types of routers used by builders once the final 1.0 version is in production? This would be to save on programming cost if cnc operators would agree on this.
Its possible, but here is what is involved: When a CNC "programmer" takes a CAD engineering drawing (like a .DXF or .AI file) and converts it into something a router table understands, there are many assumptions being made. The tool type - its diameter and shape primarily along with its feed, plunge and spin rates. By selectively converting each of the drawing's vectors, it then creates a file or files of one or more toolpaths in what is called G-code, which was also generated with many assumptions, like the top surface of the material to be machined is to be set at the zero point, the G-code interpreter that is to be used at the router table (its "post processor"), how the material is to be positioned on the table, provisions for changing tools in the middle of a job, how thick is the material, etc. In fact, there are so many variables that it is more likely than not that one will be overlooked (and a sheet of plywood wasted at best, or severe damage to the CNC table at worst).

So, each CNC operator usually likes to make all those decisions explicitly. There is indeed a lot of sharing of CAD/CNC designs over on CNCzone.com, for instance, but even then, it is much more typical to share the vector (CAD) drawing than it is to share the G-code. Also, the CAD drawing may be easily modified, where the G-code cannot.
revwarguy
E-book readers owned: samsung 10.1 tablet
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by revwarguy »

Nehpets wrote: So I am making the separate layers for the different operations and depths, and i will share these here as soon as I am done with them
Yes, layers are your friend... :)
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Idea for treadle power with trigger actuation.
figure1.jpeg
(26.04 KiB) Downloaded 6980 times
You turn the scanner around so the pull-down handle is away from you as you scan. Figure 2 shows the detail of the handle and brake lever.
figure2.jpeg
figure2.jpeg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 9901 times
Of course the drawings are simplified to show the concept.