Self-Adjusting Spine Support

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jck57

Re: Self-Adjusting Spine Support

Post by jck57 »

jck57 wrote:
Glad you like it. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll send it to you for testing in a scanner.
Or if not Rob, maybe somebody else would like this cradle to test and if found acceptable, reverse engineer into CAD language.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Oh, I see the principle involved in the mechanism, so I don't need to have it sent to me :) I'll just design the parts and cut them. Although I may not be able to do it for a while, since the recovery from the NextFab disaster has really released a lot of pent-up demand for the ShopBot!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

rob wrote:Oh, I see the principle involved in the mechanism, so I don't need to have it sent to me :) I'll just design the parts and cut them.
Ah, Mr. Crafty. :)
Although I may not be able to do it for a while, since the recovery from the NextFab disaster has really released a lot of pent-up demand for the ShopBot!
Sorry to hear that.
bonesgeorge
E-book readers owned: 2
Number of books owned: 20

Post by bonesgeorge »

Jack, I'd have a few couple of ideas that may be benefiting idea to be implemented into your new cradle that may reduce the ply needs of it to the level of the earlier, simple cradle used in the standard plans. So, if you have any documentations of dimensions, sketches with the figures of them I'd glad to have them and put down my ideas! :)
jck57 wrote:
jck57 wrote:
Glad you like it. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll send it to you for testing in a scanner.
Or if not Rob, maybe somebody else would like this cradle to test and if found acceptable, reverse engineer into CAD language.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

bonesgeorge wrote:Jack, I'd have a few couple of ideas that may be benefiting idea to be implemented into your new cradle that may reduce the ply needs of it to the level of the earlier, simple cradle used in the standard plans. So, if you have any documentations of dimensions, sketches with the figures of them I'd glad to have them and put down my ideas! :)
Sorry, I don't have dimensioned drawings but I can take measurements from the prototype for specific dimensions. And please share your ideas with us by posting a sketch or two.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yeah, I'm excited to start copying jck57's design, so any improvement ideas are most welcome!
bonesgeorge
E-book readers owned: 2
Number of books owned: 20

Post by bonesgeorge »

I figured out how to avoid the need of numbers, or actually, to get numbers, so no probs!

And, yeah, your openness, and fidelity towards the idea of creating something all together was really inspiring, guys! Sure, if you read around you got the idea what this community is all about, and how it works, but to actually see it happen, it's something different! :)

Well, below you can see what I got so far; all the parts are well-proportioned, I will even write some figures for the appropriate dimensions calculated from the diameter of the bearing on the side of the cradle done by genius jck57.

Of course, these are just some sketches, so don't expect them perfect, though I still hope they'll be of some use, and will push the progress forward! :)
jck57 wrote:
bonesgeorge wrote:Jack, I'd have a few couple of ideas that may be benefiting idea to be implemented into your new cradle that may reduce the ply needs of it to the level of the earlier, simple cradle used in the standard plans. So, if you have any documentations of dimensions, sketches with the figures of them I'd glad to have them and put down my ideas! :)
Sorry, I don't have dimensioned drawings but I can take measurements from the prototype for specific dimensions. And please share your ideas with us by posting a sketch or two.
daniel_reetz wrote:Yeah, I'm excited to start copying jck57's design, so any improvement ideas are most welcome!

If any further explanation is needed, let me know :idea: :roll:
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Wow, some very interesting design improvements indeed. Bonesgeorge, how does your new cradle account for books with varying thickness? I can't see an adjustment - maybe I'm misunderstanding things. Thanks for the great pictures.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Before I run, I just realized... One thing I need to note (not for anyone here specifically, but for everyone's understanding) - as noted in the original zip file, this design is Open Hardware - deriving designs from the original design means that in the fullness of time all improvements need to be shared back, at least if you distribute anything derived from them. I have a much longer post on this coming up that explains my personal position, but regardless people might be interested in further investigating the license and what it means for their plans.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

bonesgeorge wrote: And, yeah, your openness, and fidelity towards the idea of creating something all together was really inspiring, guys! Sure, if you read around you got the idea what this community is all about, and how it works, but to actually see it happen, it's something different! :)
We are definitely a model community in this regard. I am extremely grateful to everyone for keeping up such a high standard of contribution and for sharing so freely for the last three years. Really incredible.