DIY kit assembly

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

COREi7
E-book readers owned: Goodreader (ipad)
Number of books owned: 100

Re: DIY kit assembly

Post by COREi7 »

I have a general question about assembly...

Was wondering if anyone, along with the obvious screws used in assembly, has used glue for the rigid connections of course. This would certainly firm up the entire assembly.

Has anyone done that? Is it even recommended to do? I realize once it'd be finally assembled, there'd be no going back pulling it apart... but is there really any need to do that once it's assembled?

Just curious. I just received my package and will start my assembly in the coming weeks and have been thinking that once assembled, having it glued might make it a more solid assembly. Had also thought that it could be stained black once it's completely assembled rather than painting the pieces first then touching up once it's completed...

Any thoughts?

BTW, this is a very inspiring and helpful build thread... thank-you!

Thomas
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

You can do that, but be careful not to glue anything that shouldn't be, which are the joints between the cradle angles and the cradle carrier, and the joints between the supports and the face plates. Other than that, I think you should be safe.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
COREi7
E-book readers owned: Goodreader (ipad)
Number of books owned: 100

Post by COREi7 »

Excellent, thanks for the feedback! I'll have to be careful!
rob wrote:You can do that, but be careful not to glue anything that shouldn't be, which are the joints between the cradle angles and the cradle carrier, and the joints between the supports and the face plates. Other than that, I think you should be safe.
MichaelV2Books
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 450

Post by MichaelV2Books »

The kit I received does not have all the parts in the assembly instructions. is there an updated set of instructions