Daniel's Work Thread: Toward a Hackerspace Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Daniel's Work Thread: Toward a Hackerspace Scanner

Post by daniel_reetz »

On the cradle lift arms, the depth of the pocket is .25", not the remaining material
markvdb
Number of books owned: 0

Post by markvdb »

daniel_reetz wrote:I really like this picture. May I include it with the design files?
Of course. It was CC licensed from the beginning. I'm a great proponent of CC licenses. And even if I weren't, it's a derivative from CC BY-SA licensed original work!

Mark
Mark
http://diybookscanner.eu - official EU diybookscanner kits - subscribe to our newsletter
markvdb

Post by markvdb »

Hm, this is correct for the pulley depth, right?

Mark
http://diybookscanner.eu - official EU diybookscanner kits - subscribe to our newsletter
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yes. They are kinda tough to figure out, but you nailed it. You could really delete the outside circle (as I eventually will).

Currently, it is drawn in such a way that the outside-most circle represents an "on" cut - it's 1/8" from the outside circumference of the desired circle so that if you cut on the line with a 1/4" cutter, it gives you the desired pulley. But really, it should just be deleted and the outside of the light blue circle represents the outside edge of the pulley. Know what I mean?
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Hmm. Shouldn't the white part depth be equal to the depth between the opposite half's dark blue and light blue parts? That would be 0.40", so the depth for the white area would be 0.71 - 0.40 = 0.31"? Otherwise the right pulley half is going to stick out from the left pulley half. It'll still work, you'll just end up with a fatter pulley and the inside diameter isn't going to be uniform...
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Misty

Post by Misty »

Hoping I didn't miss too much in the long thread...

From one post I read earlier, the distance between camera and book is 17 inches, is that right? I'm doing some FOV calculations to figure out what focal length lenses I need for my cameras.

Edit: Argh... sorry, wrong thread.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
ai4px

Post by ai4px »

I've been looking though the plans for Daniel's scanner and wonder about the need for all those bearings. They're expensive amounting to $100 on the project cost. I'd like to suggest that the only place we need bearings is the "large lever arm" where it connects to "large Support" and to "Cradle arms". The lower arms don't bear any weight, and only serve to keep the cradle level/plumb. I'd like to suggest that they only need bronze bushings or loosey goosey bolt holes.

As for the bearings used as wheels, I'm thinking that lining the inside cut of the "cradle brace" with strips of adhesive UHMW would allow the cradle to move left and right adequately.

Without these extra bearings the number of bearings drops to 16.
Thoughts?
royeven
E-book readers owned: ipad

Post by royeven »

[Delete this]
ai4px

Post by ai4px »

I had a thought on the drive to work today about the bearings. If we were to cut a keft in the support arms away from the bearing holes, we could drill though and pinch the bearings with a bolt to keep them centered in the lifting arms. That would elliminate the need for doubled up bearings on those parts, but wouldn't be able to be done on the CNC router Daniel is using.
Attachments
kerf.png
kerf.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 14711 times
ozgo
E-book readers owned: 0
Number of books owned: 20

Post by ozgo »

I've been looking at the design files and got a few questions

Is v9.2.0 the latest version right now? I've sent them already to the cnc guy to get a quote
In mark's depth drawing (https://github.com/markvdb/diybookscann ... totype.jpg) is the red parts issue resolved yet? How deep a cut should they be? I've looked through the 2 png files and can't find the part.
Also unsure about the double sided cuts for the bearing pockets. There used to be a fixture file but that isn't included anymore in the zip. So is there some way to cut it by cnc? Or does that mean the button method should be used instead
I'm not a woodworker and don't have a drill press, searched a bit about that and found all sorts of horror stories about cheap drill presses being wobbly and inaccurate, so I'm guessing it will be wise to not buy a cheap one just for the hackerspace scanner?
And I'm assuming the dxf files are in inches? I can't see where the units are specified in the files. Will cutting it without modification present any problems for the cnc guy, or assembly since we use metric units here?

Heheh hope you guys don't mind me asking so many questions at once