Build Thread for the Hackerspace Scanner Kits

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Gothiczartan84
Number of books owned: 800

Re: Build Thread for the Hackerspace Scanner Kits

Post by Gothiczartan84 »

I've been thinking about having a book scanner like Dan created. when and how will we know the store will open? I never own or use a DIY book scanner before. i hope it will come with the Manuel that we can understand how to build a scanner and shows how to install the cameras. I have large books that I've been thinking about scanning them in. is there a diy book scanner that can scan books of all sizes and shapes?
vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Post by vitorio »

daniel_reetz wrote:Hi, the kits do not come with cameras. I'm currently suggesting the A2200IS or A810.
The A810? I thought the wide-angle ones caused added distortion.

Now I'm wondering if I should return my A2200s and get the A810s for the MP bump...
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Send a note to MarkVDB and see if he can offer you some sample images..

I'm standing in a pile of over 30 partially packed kits. Store will be open in the coming week.
jcarol
E-book readers owned: ipad
Number of books owned: 100

Post by jcarol »

gnome wrote:
Gothiczartan84 wrote:
I'm looking at tethered shooting using 18-MP DSLRs and third-party software (http://hartcw.com/smart-shooter/features/) that appears to support simultaneous control of several Nikon and Canon DSLR camera models. (I wonder if anyone has confirmed multiple-camera control and has reported good results using this particular software.)
I don't have any experience with this software, but I did notice this in the online users guide: (http://hartcw.com/smart-shooter/documen ... ser-guide/)

The following table shows the keyboard shortcuts you can use in Smart Shooter.

Key Description
T Take a photo
Z Take a photo on all connected cameras
F Auto Focus

That would seem to indicate that you can connect two cameras and take two simultaneous pictures with one keyboard command. This software looks very promising, as you can focus the cameras, preview the picture and make other settings without physically touching the camera.

Carol
wbest1
E-book readers owned: Nexus 7
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by wbest1 »

Daniel,
Just got the kit assembled. It's a great kit. I'm going to make some tweaks on the handle and the V-tray...but otherwise this thing rocks.

Took longer to paint the thing black than to assemble it.

wbest
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm very interested in your suggestions on the handle! I bought a 3D printer to try out some new ideas, but I've been unsatisfied with it all along. :\
ycpdan
E-book readers owned: iRex / Kindle DX/ Nook
Number of books owned: 300

Post by ycpdan »

Have the kit, and looking at sanding all the edges by hand afraid belt sander would do damage.

Are there any edges that shouldn't be smoothed out?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Weird, I'm not getting response notifications to this thread. I can't think of any edges that would be destroyed by a light sanding, but be careful in general. Since some of the scanner is tab-in-slot construction, I've worked pretty hard to get the tabs to friction fit and it would be a bummer if you lost that mechanical advantage.
ycpdan
E-book readers owned: iRex / Kindle DX/ Nook
Number of books owned: 300

Post by ycpdan »

I hand sanded with a block with high grit to camber, so less chance of injury in use. Hopefully didn't take off too much. Only problem was that in some parts the top ply splintered.
Attachments
sandedandstained.JPG