Monson's Full Auto Scanner Build #5

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jancoj
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Monson's Full Auto Scanner Build #5

Post by jancoj »

Jck57 - Design of your cradle looks pretty cool. Could you please send any drawings or detail info about dimesnions of individual components. I am planning to build the same cradle so I can avoid some mistakes. Thank you very much
jck57

Post by jck57 »

These drawings show important dimensions.
cradledrawing.JPG
cradledrawing.JPG (97.47 KiB) Viewed 11236 times
divider arms.jpeg
divider arms.jpeg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 11236 times
jancoj
Number of books owned: 0

Post by jancoj »

Thank you for drawings. I am working on that now...hopefully it will work right.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Reviving this thread and connecting it with the original self-adjusting cradle thread... thinking a lot about cradles these days. And so incredibly impressed with the mechanical genius on display here.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Jck57, any news on your full auto work?

Another possible project that is smaller in scope but probably could be very useful is a "semi auto" platen liften. It would relieve the user of having to every cycle use muscle power to lift/lower the platen on Daniel's hackerspace scanner or some other scanner. The user would only manually turn the book pages and a motor would move the platen up/down when triggered by some sensor or button or timer.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Made a bigger cradle. Aluminum frame enlarged. Horizontal air slide remade with drawer glides. Drawer glides on the cradle aren't used with this scanner. Center roller is removable because some books' spines are too stiff for it.

As for semi-auto: I think a cordless drill with a spool in the chuck could make a winch for raising and lowering. DC gearmotors offer many options for forward/reverse, on/off, speed control.
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG (147.69 KiB) Viewed 10634 times
removable spine roller
removable spine roller
IMG_1554.JPG (124.45 KiB) Viewed 10634 times
horizontal air cylinder under cradle
horizontal air cylinder under cradle
IMG_1552.JPG (116.24 KiB) Viewed 10634 times
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

w h o a h
M@rtijn

Post by M@rtijn »

Jack congrats on a great design! Looking forward seeing it in action.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Wow!
jck57 wrote:As for semi-auto: I think a cordless drill with a spool in the chuck could make a winch for raising and lowering. DC gearmotors offer many options for forward/reverse, on/off, speed control.
I've done some tests using a cordless drill and some string to lift a platen. Works pretty well. For the David Landin scanner no winch is even needed I suspect. But for a scanner with a vertical moving platen something like that is needed. A rail of some sort would also be possible. I think this kind of setup would be easy to use: press a footpedal and the platen is raised. Release and the motor reverses and lowers the platen until it is down. A challenge is to make this motion both safe enough (no hands accidentally hit/cut by the platen) and quick enough compared to manual platen operation.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Those 80/20 linear bearings are expensive, so I made a cheap sliding t-slot with brake. Skate bearings, paper shims, plywood, carriage bolts, springs, hand-nut.
slide together.JPG
slide together.JPG (132.6 KiB) Viewed 10492 times
slide apart.JPG
slide apart.JPG (113.88 KiB) Viewed 10492 times
close slide.JPG
close slide.JPG (105.23 KiB) Viewed 10492 times
Thanks for the support.

dtic: If you would, start a new thread for semi-auto. I think we can come up with some good ideas.