Jck57's Full Auto Scanner Scheme #6

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jck57

Re: Jck57's Full Auto Scanner Scheme #6

Post by jck57 »

Okay, how about this idea:

Kind of a hybrid of scanner #6 and the servo auto scanner. Use the gearmotors to rotate the wedges but don't include the page lifter. That's a separate gadget. The page flipper would be on the common shaft of one of the wedge drives. Also, forget about the cams and followers and simply use servos to slide the gearmotor assemblies up and down to bring the wedges tight to the book when they need to be. This would reduce complexity where it's a problem but keep the good features of the gearmotor scheme which are:

1. Full rotation in a single direction helps to position stuff to keep the book open during the entire page picking and flipping process.
2. Precise control over the angles of the wedges as they hit the book pages.

So, one servo each side to raise and lower gearmotors, one servo to do the page lifter, and two gearmotors. 3 servos and 2 gearmotors isn't bad. The servo scanner had five servos and still lacked necessary control of really stiff pages.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

The only objection I can see is that servos (as in RC servos) might not survive that wear level, but otherwise it sounds pretty good to me.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Good point, Dan. I really want to use the much more powerful gearmotor to raise and lower the wedges. Here's another idea: an electomagnetic clutch disengages the wedge rotation as the axial cam keeps turning to lower and raise the wedge. Ordered this Sharp copier clutch for $15 on ebay. We'll see if it will suit the purpose.
clutch.jpg
clutch.jpg (7.73 KiB) Viewed 4551 times