Scanning close to maximum size (official kit)?

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Wilkie

Scanning close to maximum size (official kit)?

Post by Wilkie »

To scan books with the official kit that are nearly at the maximum size of 9" x 12" x 3" in all dimensions, are there any extra considerations when choosing the camera or accessories? Apart from ensuring that the camera's resolution is sufficient, are there any camera features I should pay attention to because of the book size? Also, are there any parts of the kit that I could replace or modify to improve performance for this book size? Any special operating tips? Thanks very much.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Scanning close to maximum size (official kit)?

Post by daniel_reetz »

I don't know about accessories, but you'll probably have to elevate the light even higher from the platen surface than it already is. Perhaps by as much as 6". Glare from the light currently grazes a 9" page. Vitorio commented on this elsewhere. Additionally, you're going to need to cover the scanner with black cloth, or scan in the dark to prevent as many reflections in the glass as possible.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

Thanks for the tips. Any best practices for elevating the light? Should I stick with the kit light, or would using something else help? Will elevating be necessary even if I use anti-reflective glass? I can scan in the dark, no problem there.
andre_lafayette
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 100

Post by andre_lafayette »

I am also looking into ways of elevating the light module in my kit (standard build 0.9.2) to provide more even lighting. Working with pages that are 8.75 inches in width, I obtained satisfactory results for pages containing only black text on a white background, but not for pages with images. Using anti-reflective glass has helped reduce reflections from objects around my scanner, but has not solved the problem of uneven lighting.