trying to recreate the foamboard scanner - my first build

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

shesgottageek

trying to recreate the foamboard scanner - my first build

Post by shesgottageek »

Hello all.

I've been following the goings on here off and on for a couple of years with the idea that eventually I'd be building my own book scanner. While I'd like to eventually get to the point of the hackerspace standard or something in the range of the 80/20 builds, I've got space and tools limitations. My sister's a woodworker and said she'd help out but she's far away, so that hasn't happened. Finally, I'm making some progress, having seen Bill McKinney's foam board scanner (here: http://veesmee.com/fbbs/)

Recently I ran across the notes from a talk that was given to the Harvard ABCD Libraries group https://wiki.harvard.edu/confluence/dis ... k+Scanners where I found the parts list, etc. for this foam board scanner. I'm not planning on building mine exactly like his, particularly since I'll be using Canon cameras and want to play around with some ideas for the book support.

If it's acceptable, I'll use this thread as my build log, and pose questions I hope someone can help with, as there was no contact info for Mr. McKinney.
shesgottageek

Re: trying to recreate the foamboard scanner - my first buil

Post by shesgottageek »

Buying the materials:

The original materials list was:

Staples:
(3) black foam board 30 in. x 40 in.
(12-14) medium binder clips
(8-12) velcro cable ties
Home Depot
(2) 7/16 in. x 48 in. hardwood dowel
(2) 11 in. x 14 in. clear acrylic sheets
(1) battery operated fluorescent light
Amazon (optional)
(2) Pentax cameras with IR capability
(2) IR remotes compatible with cameras
(2) optical audio cables
(1) portfolio for storage/transport

My materials purchases so far have been:
Dollar store:
(3 packs) assorted sizes binder clips - $3.00
1 black/charcoal door mat $1.00
Michaels:
2 pcs. black foam board 40x60, $xx.xx (cut down to 40x30 for free)
1 portfolio for storage (but I think it was the wrong size and needs to go back)
Lowes:
1 roll of velcro tie-downs (25 pack), $4.87
Ebay:
1 Canon camera - model A4000 16MP - $62.00 (incl. shipping)

Still to buy:
1 camera, dowels (unless I have them somewhere?)
acrylic sheets (2 @ 11 x 14)
shesgottageek

First question: What type/thickness of acrylic sheet

Post by shesgottageek »

First question: What type/thickness of acrylic sheet should I use?

I've never worked with acrylic and was looking at it in the Lowes hardware store the other day. Should I be using the stuff that's thicker (1/8"?) and firmer or since this is mounted on foam board, should I be using that really thin, flexible stuff they had on hand? Unfortunately, there wasn't anyone wearing a red vest around in that area, so I wasn't able to pose the question to Lowes' staff.

I'd considered glass, but since the acrylic sheeting is held on to the platen with velcro ties through holes cut into the acrylic, glass isn't really an option (at least not right now).

Also, since the 11x14 size doesn't seem to be standard, I'm planning on buying a larger piece and having them cut it into two for me. Would something like this be a good choice? http://www.homedepot.com/p/LEXAN-24-in- ... 064?N=brdg
vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Post by vitorio »

shesgottageek wrote:Should I be using the stuff that's thicker (1/8"?) and firmer or since this is mounted on foam board, should I be using that really thin, flexible stuff they had on hand? Unfortunately, there wasn't anyone wearing a red vest around in that area, so I wasn't able to pose the question to Lowes' staff.
My first scanner used an acrylic platen, and just holding a ruler up to it, it seems to be a little thinner than 1/8. 3/32, maybe?

It's very rigid, though. It's supposed to hold book pages flat, so if it bends, it's not going to do that. Get the thicker stuff.

The other thing to remember is acrylic will scratch easily, and the UV coated stuff might scratch even more easily. Just the regular handling and paper rubbing against it will start to scuff it, and you'll eventually start being able to see them in your photographs, and you'll want to replace them.

This is a really interesting model, btw. Thanks for finding it.
shesgottageek

Post by shesgottageek »

Thanks for the info, Vitorio!

I stopped back at Lowes and Michael's (a craft store that also offers picture framing) tonight to check out their acrylic sheeting. The Lowes guy had two types he suggested, said one was 1/8" and one was 1/4" but the quarter-inch seems thinner than that. (Although, I have to admit to not being terrific at eyeballing sizes correctly.) The other problem was the stock on hand already had scratches on it, even through the protective plastic sheeting.

Michaels has a non-reflective acrylic but it is extremely expensive! So I'm going to continue my search for now. Maybe a bit of google searching will turn up a glass company here in my area that can help out.

I'm looking forward to getting the second camera and getting going on this. Next step will be to work out the cutting patterns, then start looking into jbaiter's streams project, I think.
vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Post by vitorio »

shesgottageek wrote:Maybe a bit of google searching will turn up a glass company here in my area that can help out.
Glass drill bits are a thing; you can drill holes in glass, or I'm sure someone at a glass place could do it.

But I wonder if you couldn't just use some extra binder clips. Clip four of them to each pane of glass and run the velcro straps through the handles (or maybe through the clip?), and cinch it tight.