A new scanner design using plastic tubing

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

elwi
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 30

Re: A new scanner design using plastic tubing

Post by elwi »

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your hard work on this really nice plastic tubing scanner!

I have just started building my own. It was a bit hard for me to get those plastic tubings here in Germany, this is not available in my local hardware store ;).

Just a quick note on the latest instructable version July 2014.
In step 1 there seem to be one 32cm pipe missing in the "overview picture (Step 1: Parts for the plastic tubing frame of the Easy Scanner)". You have written 1 x 32cm pipe but if I look at picture "Step 3: The Counterbalance frame" I need two (the one in the middle is missing)

One quick question: could you please tell me the diameter of the steel pivot rod ?

Best,
Elwi
davidlandin wrote:Hi Jon
The new Instructable revised version is now up on the Instructables site
http://www.instructables.com/id/Book-Sc ... ges-an-h/.
Let me know if you spot any other errors please. I feel bad about the errors you found, but really glad you pointed them out!
jkn wrote: FWIW I am thinking of having a larger platen angle than you (100 degrees instead of 90) so that will make a difference as well.
The problem with "unusual" angles is how to hold the acrylic accurately at that angle. With 90 degrees it is easy of course, as there are lots of 90 degree fixings. I'll be interested to see how your plan works out.
BTW, I am curious if there is any great art to drilling out the Tee-pieces for allow the tube to slide on? For 21.5mm 'overflow waste' tube I have a 20mm flat drill, but clearly using that will involve a bit of 'scraping' around the inside of the tee. I also windered about using a slightly smaller diamer tube and some sandpaper... would be interested in your experience of this.
I used a 22mm flat drill, and it worked well. I think you'd be better buying a 22 mm bit if you haven't got one, because even doing it by drilling out took me quite a few minutes, and I reckon with sanding you would be really struggling.
FWIW I plan to use Canon a1400 cameras and a modified lighting arrangement, with four Cree emitters, maybe on a 'gantry' mounted on the top of the counterbalance support (where you have the sliding tee-piece currently. I am wondering if this setup, with a couple of metal 'arms' coming forwards, might result in a bit of light 'bounce; we shall see.
I have found that mounting the light vertically over the gutter seems to be the best position. And I have had some problems with reflections, mainly (rather surprisingly) from off the black tubes, which are shiny even though they are dark in colour. I think this problem will best be handled by lightly sandpapering the tubes.

Please let me know how you get on. If you have questions as you go along just ask, but I will be away for 3 weeks starting next week, and I don't know if I will have broadband where I'm going. So you might have to wait for answers . . . . And you might be finished by the time I get back! :D

David Landin
davidlandin
Number of books owned: 0

Post by davidlandin »

Hi Elwi
Just a quick note on the latest instructable version July 2014.
In step 1 there seem to be one 32cm pipe missing in the "overview picture (Step 1: Parts for the plastic tubing frame of the Easy Scanner)". You have written 1 x 32cm pipe but if I look at picture "Step 3: The Counterbalance frame" I need two (the one in the middle is missing)

One quick question: could you please tell me the diameter of the steel pivot rod ?
Thanks for the note about the missing pipe on the Instructable. I'll correct it

The steel pivot rod is about 6mm diameter, but it could be a bit more if you can't get 6mm.

If you have any questions about construction let me know
, and I will try to answer your questions.

One modification that i have done recently was because I changed the cameras to DSLR cameras, which are quite a bit heavier. This was at the request of a client who wanted to be able to produce RAW images. The problem with these DSLR cameras is that they are MUCH heavier than the original lightweight compact Pentax cameras I originally used. I found that when the new cameras were mounted on the counterbalance they tended to swivel and rotate when the counterbalance arm was lifted.

So I have had to use small-ish tripods to mount the cameras, one on either side of the scanner. I have placed these tripods on some of the non-slip plastic matting so that the tripods and the scanner retain their positions during the scanning process.

Please let me know how you get on with your project

David Landin
elwi

Post by elwi »

Hi David,

Thanks for your support and help! I will let you know, I am thinking of starting a build thread or taking some pictures of the whole process.

Best,
Elwi
elwi

Post by elwi »

Hey David,

I am just finishing my work on the scanner. What I dont fully understand is how the light is attached. Do you got an recent picture of your instructables scanner showing how the light is attached to the frame?

Best,
elwi
elwi

Post by elwi »

another question.

I saw in your inital bill that you had a 30 watt LED on it, in the instructables you say 20 watt.

Is 20 watt sufficient or is it the more the better? I can order 20, 30 or 50 watt on ebay.

Best,
Elwi
elwi

Post by elwi »

the alignment of the cameras on the camera support arms is really giving me hard times. I get a lot of keystone in every possible position. I have tried and tested every possible position but I think there is no perfect one. The platen hanger position interfers with the camera support arm position but I need both at those positions exactly where they are since the platen hangers are perfect for the platen balancing and the camera support arms so that the cameras point at the center of the book.

Therefore I am thinking about buying two goosenecks and applying them on the sides of the base frame similar to the gooseneck used in this thread http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=698,

I have illustrated how to:
FFXBJKHHX6AQKKB.MEDIUM.jpg
FFXBJKHHX6AQKKB.MEDIUM.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 9620 times
Henck
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Henck »

Hello,
my name is Henry and I´m new in the forum but very interested to build my own scanner. Also as user elwi, I´m from germany and has had a little problem to find the right pvc-tubings. But I found it on ebay under the pond construction section. Some questions and hints, because my english is not the best, maybe elwi could help, if my english isn´t to understand for native speakers.

To avoid reflections from the frame tubes or camera holders - why not wrap a black cloth around the tubes and fasten it with black cable clips? Maybe the use of handlebar tape may be helpful.

My question:

the pdf building instruction uses two models of the scanner, is this right? In the plan there is shown a back section in the base structure. Is this part added to prevent tipping?

Thanks for the great idea.
dpc

Post by dpc »

Henck wrote: ...
To avoid reflections from the frame tubes or camera holders - why not wrap a black cloth around the tubes and fasten it with black cable clips? Maybe the use of handlebar tape may be helpful.
You can also use black hockey tape. It's inexpensive, made of black cloth (which will reduce reflections quite well), and you should be able to find it at local sporting goods stores.
davidlandin

Post by davidlandin »

Hi Elwi

Thank you writing and I am happy to try and answer your questions. I've been away for two weeks which is why I didn't reply earlier
elwi wrote: I have just started building my own. It was a bit hard for me to get those plastic tubings here in Germany, this is not available in my local hardware store ;).
I wonder if the problem you had trying to find the tubing was because of the diameter? You could use a wider diameter tube and that would be OK.

elwi wrote: Just a quick note on the latest instructable version July 2014.
Yes you are correct, you do need two 32cm tubes, and I have corrected the Instructable.

elwi wrote: One quick question: could you please tell me the diameter of the steel pivot rod ?
The steel rod I used is about 5mm diameter.

David Landin
davidlandin

Post by davidlandin »

elwi wrote:
I am just finishing my work on the scanner. What I don't fully understand is how the light is attached. Do you got an recent picture of your instructables scanner showing how the light is attached to the frame?
Light is attached to the top horizontal bar
Light is attached to the top horizontal bar
Lamp attached using bicycle handlebar support.
Lamp attached using bicycle handlebar support.
Snap_2014.09.13_15h35m21s_002.png (480.7 KiB) Viewed 9467 times
Here are a couple of pictures showing the way the light is attached. I've used a drilled out T on the top bar of the frame. The T is a tight fit, but it can rotate to get the best position for the light. If the T is too loose, and the weight of the light pulls it down, then I would drill through the T and put a nail or screw to hold the angle of the light support bar. The light is attached to its support bar using a bicycle handlebar camera support bought on eBay

The light is a 20 watt LED light used for outdoor flood lighting. It is very bright, and yet it stays cool when it is working.

Hope this helps. Please do ask any other questions you may have.

David Landin