Traveling with the Book Scanner - Thoughts / Problems

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

ycpdan
E-book readers owned: iRex / Kindle DX/ Nook
Number of books owned: 300

Traveling with the Book Scanner - Thoughts / Problems

Post by ycpdan »

Hello,
I have the standard kit build and interested if anyone else moved their scanner often? Are there anythings I should consider?
I like the ideas of the t bolts for the inside.

Should I blue/green loctite the bolts? Have people had problems with glass breaking enroute due to potholes/ vibration ?
jbaiter
E-book readers owned: 2
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Traveling with the Book Scanner - Thoughts / Problems

Post by jbaiter »

I've not exactly traveled often with my scanner, only around three times, but here's some things I did/noticed:

- My scanner base and top (camera+lighting unit, bolted together) are connected via four metal latches that make sure that the scanner is one solid unit when assembled, but can still be easily disassembled
- I removed the glasses from the top during transport and wrapped them in some blankets, seemed safer to me
- All of my peripherals (power strip, camera power supplies, raspberry pi, usb hub) are bolted to the top, this way only a single cable leads from the scanner, makes assembly less involved and reduces the cable mess.
spreads: Command-line workflow assistant