Oversized davidlandin Model

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

GPHS2
E-book readers owned: Ipad 2
Number of books owned: 400

Re: Oversized davidlandin Model

Post by GPHS2 »

Cday, yes I am wondering about the LED lights also. That may be my next step to try those.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Of course, generally speaking, better input == better output. So you're right to focus on getting a good, evenly lit image. It will also help the post-processors like Scan Tailor.

Overall, I think you're getting close to what is possible with these cameras. Is your JPG quality on the camera set to "Super Fine"? That should be in the "func" menu somewhere.
GPHS2

Post by GPHS2 »

Hi Daniel, Yep, it is set to super fine. That much I do know about the camera settings. (:-)

We showed the other members of the historical society tonight and they loved the scanning unit. Everyone is excited to see the finished product and I told them I am working on the lighting which should be the last key elements and once I get it right we should be good to go.

I am going to one of our local electrical stores this week to talk to someone there who may have some insight into which lights might work best. I am seriously leaning to the LED type lights. Ron has mentioned LED Strip Lights which would give us a nicely distributed light but I am not sure if we could get enough lumens out of an LED strip. So that is part of what I am going to ask them at the electrical store.

I actually had a pretty crisp image when I had the unit on my sun porch as it is surrounded on three sides with windows so the natural light gave me a much better image. The only problem was I also got a lot of reflection there or I would just set it up there and use the natural light. Someone at our meeting tonight said there is something that cuts down on or eliminates glare that you can apply to the plexiglas. I will look into that and if I find anything useful I will pass it along.

Mike
rkomar
E-book readers owned: PRS-505, PocketBook 902, PRS-T1, PocketBook 623, PocketBook 840
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by rkomar »

Some big advantages of LEDs over halogen lights are much lower power usage and heat output, smaller size for reduced reflections, and whiter light so the software has to do less white balance work. I first tried a halogen light, switched to LED, and wouldn't go back.
GPHS2

Post by GPHS2 »

Rkomar, I think you are right. LED seems to be the way to go. Do you have any specs on the one you used? How many watts, lumens, is it the cool light one? Is it round or square? Any info is appreciated.
GPHS2

Post by GPHS2 »

Here is a link to something Ron from our historical society sent me.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=348495

This looks interesting. Expensive, but interesting. I would like to hear what others think of this type of LED light. Would we need one or two? Just trying to get some input before we go out and spend that kind of money.

It looks like something that would give off a lot of light, especially in the immediate area where we would need it. I'm not sure if we would get any reflection since it is wider than what I was thinking would work but that might also be a benefit as it would light the darker edges of the pages better.

Curious to see what other reactions are. Want to hear both pros and cons.

Mike
GPHS2

Post by GPHS2 »

Here is something else on Amazon someone mentions.

http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-EVER-Pan ... anel+light

Any thoughts on this one. This is a much better price. Just not sure about having such a big light over the scanning unit. I am sure I could work it in somehow but again worry about reflection.
PossumPete
Number of books owned: 5

Post by PossumPete »

This is a very impressive build!
Excellent work!

I'm curious, what size is the platen?

Thanks!
davidlandin
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 0

Post by davidlandin »

GPHS2 wrote: I am sure I could work it in somehow but again worry about reflection.
I've looked at anti-reflective stick-on stuff, and have wondered about polarised plastic or coating. I thought maybe some "frosted" adhesive film might be OK, but the frosting cut down massively on the quality of the letters of the text. they were much more blurry.

However, I am now looking at Plexiglas XT which we can get in the Uk quite cheaply, and it does have a much lower level of reflection. Here is a link
http://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/cle ... ve-acrylic

I think that you may also need to have a black "tent" to cover the scanner to remove extraneous light sources, and a well positioned single source of light. The "tent" I use is made from a cheap collapsible fabric wardrobe bought on ebay for about £12. This has really nice black lightweight material - quite flimsy stuff, but it keeps out the light. But my wardrobe method might not be big enough for a larger scanner like this one.

I've found that a light positioned immediately vertically over the gutter of the book does not produce reflections - it needs to be a bit above the level of the platen top.

David
GPHS2

Post by GPHS2 »

PossumPete wrote:This is a very impressive build!
Excellent work!

I'm curious, what size is the platen?

Thanks!
Hi PossumPete, love the handle! The platen is 24 inches long and each side is 21 1/2 inches wide.

I'd love to take credit for the build but a local manufacturing company donated their time and materials to build it for us. We are working on the lighting and camera setup. We got the cameras triggering fine but I need to improve the lighting. Then we can start using it in earnest. (:-) We have about 150 hand written ledgers dating back to 1895 that we want to preserve and then we hope to digitize our local newspaper going back to 1949 and up as they are still publishing today.

Mike