MDF-Built Hackerspace-Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

boredland
Number of books owned: 0

MDF-Built Hackerspace-Scanner

Post by boredland »

Recently I did my first "proof of concept" of the Hackerspace-Scanner on MDF-Sheets. Since the biggest sheets our Laser-Cutter could work with was 0.5cm I had to modify many things.
As a result I had to solve many problems I didn't see in Rhino3d by glueing and sticking, but now it works (and I'm on the way to produce better one this week).
After all the hours of work I still think: working with MDF is easy and worth it (I'll update on this, when I can provide the corrected files and have built the out-of the box-version, until then: ask, what you need to know).
Attachments
IMG_20140317_154541.jpg
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: MDF-Built Hackerspace-Scanner

Post by daniel_reetz »

Really cool! It kinda looks like you're not using any bearings, is that the case?
boredland

Post by boredland »

No I use them. But the smaller ones: 8x16x5 mm
boredland

Post by boredland »

The last days I worked on a New Version of the MDF-Build. It works with mdf-bolts now, so its a bit less glueing and should be a bit more stable. Furthermore I created a new mechanism for the glass plates so inserting should be easier. In additon to that I've now a plane backpane where I can assemble the elecronics on. I want to add a in-place raspberry case there in the next days.
Attachments
rev02.zip
(355.84 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Nice work and thanks for sharing your files. I hope you don't mind including Open Hardware licensing terms with them - a text file with the CC-BY-SA and a link to the forums as included in the original files would be great.

I'm interested in seeing how your glass solution works out.
boredland

Post by boredland »

Yeah. I planned to do that in a nice and clearly laid out way including a buylist and assembly-instructions in the entry-post, but somehow i can't edit that one. Isn't that possible at all?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

In the past, we had malicious users edit out their entire histories from the forums, so we made post editing have a short window, I think one day.

I'm considering turning post editing back on - all in favor, say "aye"
rkomar
E-book readers owned: PRS-505, PocketBook 902, PRS-T1, PocketBook 623, PocketBook 840
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by rkomar »

I'm kind of against long-term editing because it can produce confusing threads. One person writes something wrong, another comments on it, first person edits out the error later, then the following comment makes no sense at all because the context is gone.

That said, it would be nice to be able to update or remove broken links to external stuff.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Maybe I just extend the edit-window?

I agree, it was really, really painful here on the forums when people started deleting things. It was also interesting, from a mod perspective, to see what people deleted, but not interesting enough to keep it there just to watch.
boredland

Post by boredland »

It would be enough to only enable thread starters to edit their posts. In case of those built threads that would be useful. Perhaps the better way would be to use the wiki more efficient... However. When I tested the new built (next week or so) i can simply create a new thread and pledge a moderator to kill this one.