Camera mounts for the DIY Book Scanner...

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

geneb
E-book readers owned: Kindle, android tablets..
Number of books owned: 0

Camera mounts for the DIY Book Scanner...

Post by geneb »

I recently found out that there's a need for camera adapters for the "hackerspace" scanner. I've got some idle 3D printers and some design time, so if someone can point me to what exactly needs to happen, I'd be happy to help out.

g.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Camera mounts for the DIY Book Scanner...

Post by daniel_reetz »

The current hackerspace scanner uses a slot to accommodate many cameras. I'm posting this here as a placeholder for a video/pics and a longer explanation, but the basic problem is that the slot doesn't locate the camera in the exact, perfect spot, it allows for the camera to be moved left and right, which also means that it can pivot.

Most of us plan to put the cameras on and position them only once, so a positively locating mount is not a dealbreaker. However, for users who are unloading their cards after every session it's a pretty big deal to get back on the scanner easily.

I have a few thoughts on useful ways to approach the problem. One would be to pick a few cameras (A2200, A1400, A810, A170IS) that we know are being used with the hackerspace scanner. Then a solid model of the base of those cameras should be constructed. From that point, we can make adapters to mate them to anything, including the slot on the scanner.

Matti and I actually did this already for the A2200 but I haven't released the file. I need to find it. :\
geneb

Post by geneb »

So basically what you're after is a semi-permanent base that can take a variety of quick-release camera clamps?

g.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Not quite. I mean something to position the camera relative to the slot which accepts the tripod bolt. Here's my answer for the A2200. You'll see that it's basically a tab that goes in the scanner's slot, and there's clearance for a bolt to come up and connect the camera. This way installation is as easy as dropping it in the slot and tightening a bolt.
Attachments
a2200_base.zip
(67.82 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
geneb

Post by geneb »

Ahh, ok. I get where you're coming from now.

I thought there was a big concern about location repeatability, but apparently I was mistaken.

If you want that printed, just let me know. It's not a big part and wouldn't take very long to run.

if you can get me the base dimensions and the position of the threaded mount on the camera, I can bang those things out pretty fast. I use SolidWorks for part design.

g.
dpc

Post by dpc »

How do I view what is in that zip? Do you have an image file showing what you're proposing?

I also assumed the problem is that once the camera is removed it's difficult to get it back to the same mounting spot and orientation. Are you instead trying to come up with some way to eliminate the need for the camera to be removed and provide access to the bottom of the camera while it's mounted?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

dpc: check out the free STL viewer: http://www.freestlview.com/

geneb - are you in possession of any Canon Powershots yourself?
geneb

Post by geneb »

daniel_reetz wrote: geneb - are you in possession of any Canon Powershots yourself?
No, the only camera I own is a Nikon D50.

g.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'll try to get some measurements in the coming week. For people here in the forum, one way to share the dimensions of your Canon Powershots is to place them on a flatbed scanner and scan them at 600DPI (or any other DPI that you set). Share the image of the bottom of your camera here and it should be possible to create a mount pretty easily.
rkomar
E-book readers owned: PRS-505, PocketBook 902, PRS-T1, PocketBook 623, PocketBook 840
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by rkomar »

My Plustek Opticbook 3600 does _not_ keep the same scale in the X and Y directions. I'm not sure if this is common among scanners, but it's something to look out for when trying to use scans to measure physical dimensions.