Announcing the Archivist Scanner and a Beta Program!

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Announcing the Archivist Scanner and a Beta Program!

Post by duerig »

Cypris2010, There are two LED modules each of which has multiple LEDs inside of them. Underneath the LEDs, there are two layers of acrylic(?) lens structures to diffuse the light. I understand that the shapes were designed by Daniel and he had them custom made. But the overall goal of diffusing the light to evenly illuminate the book is similar to that sheet you linked to.

The overall design is to have LED light sources + lenses to diffuse the light + physical structure around the light to cut out glare and secondary reflections. However you end up designing your light element, make sure to remember that there will be high temperatures involved right near the light sources. So you need to factor that into your design as well, lest you start a fire.
duerig

Post by duerig »

kgonis73, I'm not near an actual archivist at the moment so I can't give you a definitive measurement. The cradle supports are meant to wedge (tight fit) into the cradle wings where you see the double outline. One of those is a pocket operation that makes the tab thinner than the normal thickness of the stock. Based on the thickness of stock you are using, adjust the cradle wing slot and the depth of the pocket and the length of the tab.

I would recommend looking at the pictures that Daniel has posted as part of the MakerZine article so you get a sense of how everything fits together. That should help you turn the dxf into the appropriate cutting paths.
Crispy
Number of books owned: 1500

Post by Crispy »

After umming and ahhing about buying a book scanner kit, I have decided to man up and enlist the services of a cnc router to cut the pattern out from the .dxf files available on the internet. I've managed to persuade my diy minded father in law to help me put it together...

Two sets of plans are available for the diy book scanner, the older version and the archivist. I'd be interested to know which of the two designs is the easier to assemble, and also, is there a list of parts and assembly instructions available comparable to that provided for the previous book scanner here: http://diybookscanner.org/assemblymanual.pdf?

Does the archivist involve more metal cutting than the previous version?
duerig

Post by duerig »

I replied to you in the other thread, but you will definitely want to build the new scanner. It is much easier to assemble. There is a bit of metalwork involved: drilling holes in the handlebar, cutting a notch out of one (or both) sides of the handlebar, drilling holes in the glass brackets, and cutting a notch in the glass bracket so that it will fold properly down the middle.

For anyone else who is interested in the Archivist, I have started building kits of it since Daniel retired. See my website at http://tenrec.builders, or the shop at http://store.diybookscanner.org

The complete guide and plans are at http://www.diybookscanner.org/archivist/ including dxf files and insight into the design. If you want advice about make various pieces, send email to help at tenrec dot builders and I'm happy to answer questions. I can also help out with providing some of the harder to manufacture or acquire pieces if you want to mostly source it yourself.