Announcing the Archivist Scanner and a Beta Program!

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

KRLS
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Announcing the Archivist Scanner and a Beta Program!

Post by KRLS »

I want purchase the Archivist, but it says that there isn't shipping to Catalonia (Spain). is there any option? I could assume the shipping costs.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

KRLS wrote:I want purchase the Archivist, but it says that there isn't shipping to Catalonia (Spain). is there any option? I could assume the shipping costs.
I can definitely ship to you - contact me at my email (danreetz@gmail.com) and we can work something out. The store doesn't support it yet, but I will.
tadeas wrote:Hi, thanks for all the work on the v2 version.

A remark on the makezine project documentation:
In step 20, there is a reference to a LightModulePanels_Need2Ea.dxf file, which is not included in the DIYBookScannerArchivistDesignFiles.zip file (on makezine website). It's quite obvious what the dimensions are, so it's not a problem, but maybe for the completeness?

And three questions:
1/ Any ETA on the final ArchivistDesignFiles?
2/ When released, would it be possible to get a version of the ArchivistBookScanner_M3.dxf with dimensions in milimeteres (mm) instead of inches, so that we can use them easily on european CNC machines?
3/ Can you specifiy which high CRI LEDs (manufacturer, type) you've decided to use in the final design?

Thanks. Looking forward to building one :)
T.
Thanks Tadeas.

As for the design files, the Make editor made the filename up but I never drew any such design file. As you said, the dimensions are obvious from the pics/instructions. To be honest, I'm not going to work on that article ever again, so that's what there will be for a DIY design file for now.

1. The files that are released now (on the homepage, in the Make article, and here) are the same files I'm using.
2. The DXFs are dimensional. If you open them in a CAM application the conversion is automatic. Over the years lots of people have misunderstood this. Any CNC shop can open them and the dimensions should update automatically.
3. I'm keeping the lighting module design to myself for now. Using the LEDs I use requires some parts that I can't open source yet. I'm hoping to eliminate those parts so it can be truly open source. The design that I shared on Make's website is truly Open Hardware and can be reproduced by anyone, and I designed it specifically for that reason - for the DIY'er. Though it is not high CRI, one could substitute high CRI lights of various kinds.
scann

Post by scann »

daniel_reetz wrote:How odd, this topic was just locked for me. I unlocked it.
but now it's not a global topic, do you want to leave it this way?
jtalle
E-book readers owned: iBook, Kindle, Nook, Adobe Reader
Number of books owned: 100

Post by jtalle »

Wow, stay away a few months and things change.

Can the original scanner be upgraded? How much of the new scanner uses parts of the original?

I like the look of the modifications, but would rather improve the scanner I have, instead of building another.
barth

Post by barth »

I like the look of the modifications, but would rather improve the scanner I have
Same here, especially since I've come some way in turning the New Standard 2 into a half decent standalone already. In my very humble opinion, since the platen and cradle are bigger, it seems you'd need a new central module at least. The light holder is different, too. Maybe the base and the elevator mechanism can be recycled? Apart from that it seems like I'd just have to pop out the Raspberry Pi Model B and the Pi Hub and replace them with a Model B+.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

The electronics and cameras are just the same. You can use either a B or a B+ with the archivist. I am using a B myself.

The frame is what is incompatible. The Archivist is bigger in every dimension. So the pieces are not interchangeable from what I understand.

But I would not worry too much. The three main advantages of the archivist are ease of assembly, bigger scan space, and better lighting. Your scanner is already assembled so the first one is moot. For lighting, you may be able to buy the new style of lights. But you will have to come up with your own way to mount them on your scanner without making a fire hazard.

Which leaves size. I would stick with what you have unless you come across books that are too big for you to scan.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Update for everyone:

I've now been working on the Archivist nonstop for 13 months. It's time to take a step back and evaluate all the feedback and insight from the Beta testers and the early adopters. The documentation needs fixing, the production pipeline needs tuning, and software-wise, we need to focus on postprocessing. Also, I need a "break" - meaning simply that I need to be spending my time fixing these issues instead of putting scanners into boxes. I simply don't have the time to do both -- even working 4-6 hours a night for the last year hasn't cut it.

My plan is to produce a large batch of Archivists to be offered for sale in the first half of 2015. I am saying that in a vague way on purpose. It could be a month from now, or six months from now. It depends on how long it takes to fix the documentation and make producing the scanners more sane and gentle. (example: on Friday night, I was at a trucking depot loading eight hundred ninety nine pounds of scanner parts into my truck by myself.). I will, as always, work to finish as fast as possible, but mentally, I need the flexibility to do the documentation and production to a level that we can all be happy with.

Contact diybookscanner@gmail.com if you want to be notified of progress; I'll also post here.
Cypris2010

Post by Cypris2010 »

The question was asked before, but it seemed that nobody answered: Can you tell us a little bit more about the lightning module. I got that wie the 95 cri leds but from the pictures it seems that there ist some sort of glas in front of them, witch brakes reflects diffuses the light. It also seems that there are more than one led (looks like three).

Can you tell us what sort of glas it ist an how much watt the leds work on?
Cypris2010

Post by Cypris2010 »

Do you use something like this for the light diffusion? http://www.ebay.de/itm/Acrylic-Clear-Pr ... 3cdd765e36
kgonisz73
E-book readers owned: Kobo Touch
Number of books owned: 100

Post by kgonisz73 »

Hello,

I tried to build my own bookscanner . In design file (dxf) there are parts with unknown shape - look at the screenshot attached. Could you give me info where I can find this element with all measurements and shape , please? (with different view )

Another problem with cutting - all circles and arcs in this DXF are build with small straight lines . Is there a quick way to change it all in AutoCAD to smooth arcs and circles before cutting ?

Greetings !

Chris
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (6.29 KiB) Viewed 12773 times