Announcing the Archivist Scanner and a Beta Program!

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

machelensin
E-book readers owned: ipod
Number of books owned: 3

Re: Announcing the Archivist Scanner and a Beta Program!

Post by machelensin »

When will the next round of parts be available? I had work and missed out on snagging some parts.

I'm interested in the lighting unit's stats (size, weight, temperature, etc.)...
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Hey it's great to see the next scanner evolution with so many interesting features. Looking forward to learning more about that intriguing light-box.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

dpc wrote:
It scans 12*15" vs 9*12" ( really 8*11ish) for the last one.. Doesn't sound like much, but now it covers every book in my collection except a single giant oversize volume of posters...
Is that the size of the actual platen glass panes? I noticed from the beta page of the website store that the dimensions for the Archivist Glass isn't listed (other than being 3mm thick).
That's the area that you can capture with the camera (though as always, getting out to those far edges is tricky). Actual glass dimensions are 12*16 3/8", IIRC.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

machelensin wrote:When will the next round of parts be available? I had work and missed out on snagging some parts.

I'm interested in the lighting unit's stats (size, weight, temperature, etc.)...
No parts have been made available yet- just the limited beta program in the first post of this thread. No one has been selected yet ( though there have been many excellent applications). I got your other message. Need time to reply.
kirkholmes
E-book readers owned: Google Play
Number of books owned: 500

Post by kirkholmes »

Well I am sad to see that everything is sold out :cry:

Are the plans/blueprints for the Archivist Scanner available somewhere for download?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

kirkholmes wrote:Well I am sad to see that everything is sold out :cry:

Are the plans/blueprints for the Archivist Scanner available somewhere for download?
I know this is a little confusing, but it's not sold out, it's never been for sale. As mentioned in the first post, I'm doing a very small beta run of the scanners to help troubleshoot the total system, and then it will go on sale to the general public. The way my store software works, it says "sold out" when there are no items in stock. They've never been in stock!

The Archivist will be Open Source, but I haven't shared the design files yet because I'm still finishing/testing it. I'm cooking up something special for people who want to Make the Archivist on their own, without purchasing a kit.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

kirkholmes wrote:Well I am sad to see that everything is sold out :cry:

I know this is a little confusing, but it's not sold out, it's never been for sale. As mentioned in the first post, I'm doing a very small beta run of the scanners to help troubleshoot the total system, and then it will go on sale to the general public. The way my store software works, it says "sold out" when there are no items in stock. They've never been in stock!

The Archivist will be Open Source, but I haven't shared the design files yet because I'm still finishing/testing it. I'm cooking up something special for people who want to Make the Archivist on their own, without purchasing a kit.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Question to those of you who might want to buy a kit: would you rather have them available now, with a long "lead time" (pay now, I'll ship when they're ready, probably a month from now), or would you rather just be notified when they're in stock?
machelensin
E-book readers owned: ipod
Number of books owned: 3

Post by machelensin »

Depends on the lead time for me. If it's 1 month I would jump on it (I'm away on business).

Any longer than that and I will have to try finding equivalent supplies. This is my scenario, if it doesn't work out, oh well. Time and distance make for an interesting mess. lol
kirkholmes
E-book readers owned: Google Play
Number of books owned: 500

Post by kirkholmes »

I think meeting in the middle....a downpayment for secure your spot would be good.