Announcing the Archivist Scanner and a Beta Program!

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jck57

Re: Announcing the Archivist Scanner and a Beta Program!

Post by jck57 »

daniel_reetz wrote::)

We have people actively patenting ideas from the forum and one particularly lame actor cloning the old scanner in China and charging a fortune for them, flaws and all.
Hey Daniel, are you willing to elaborate more on who is trying to patent ideas from this forum and also who is having your design copied in China?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I am willing, but I need to be careful what and how I say things for legal reasons. When the dust settles, I'll make a separate thread.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I noted this in the original post, but I'm also noting it here - the Beta is now closed (Beta scanners all accounted for, more scanners in production now), but don't despair. Go ahead and write an application anyway, there might be something we can work out soon. I'd love to hear from you.
spawnoflinktis
Number of books owned: 0

Post by spawnoflinktis »

Hi, brand new user, about to build my second scanner. However, after seeing this I'm interested in buying the Archivist, I understand it is in beta, but do you have a rough timetable for production? If you are thinking just a few months, I would rather build a temporary rig for my immediate needs but if you're thinking a year I would be more inclined to build the first gen, although finding reliable cnc routing business hasn't been good so far. I think they think this is too small.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I expect that the Beta will be done in less than a month, and the machines will go on sale as it comes to a close. I have a stock of them already, but I will not release them until they've been through the beta program. Cheers!
Doranwen
E-book readers owned: Onyx Boox (dead), Astak EZ Reader (dead)
Number of books owned: 2700

Post by Doranwen »

I'll answer your question on the previous page:

I think I'd prefer to be notified when they're in stock (as long as there isn't some rush on it that I would miss out)--but would need have some idea of how much ahead of time, because I don't usually have a lot of spare money at any one point in time, and would need to save up for it. It might end up on my Christmas wishlist . . . :) If I'd end up missing out if I didn't jump on it, then I'd prefer to pay ahead of time to lock myself into a chance at one; that would also allow me to buy it as soon as I've saved up. So maybe I'm leaning toward that one . . . hmm.
scann

Post by scann »

After the announcement of the beta test program, we received many fantastic applications, and we had to make a difficult call -- we only had few scanners to deliver. The first results are now showing up -- improvements in hardware, software and packaging for the new model are continuously being made. Here is a short overview of the major features of this new design and some photos of people building their stuff!

Jonathon's Duerig build!
duerig.jpg
duerig.jpg (121.19 KiB) Viewed 14783 times
More of Jonathon's build here: https://alpha.app.net/duerig/post/37760646

Privacy International:

Andrew Drozdov and team building together the scanner:
workgroup.jpg
workgroup.jpg (104.89 KiB) Viewed 14783 times
More photos from Andrew: http://imgur.com/a/Yy7Zz

Needwant.com build:

We sold and developed The Hackerspace Scanner for two years, and received crucial critical feedback from hundreds of users -all of which is incorporated into this new model.

BIGOSITY! HUGEACIOUSNESS!

This scanner is bigger, so you can scan bigger books - up to 12x15”.

SIMPLICITY! AUSTERITY!

The new scanner frame has drastically fewer parts than the old scanner. Great emphasis was placed on making it easier to assemble. Wherever two parts could be merged into one, they were. Wherever a wood screw could be replaced with an Ikea-style furniture bolt, it was. Wherever a washer could be eliminated with a flange nut, it was. The end result is a simpler, more durable machine that can be assembled in an afternoon.

COLOR! BOLD, BEAUTIFUL, ACCURATE COLOR!

On the previous scanner, the lighting module was experimental and based on cheap COB LEDs from China. Although it made a cheap and easy system for lightning, it didn’t compare to the halogen lighting on very expensive, archival scanners. Recently, drastic advances have been made in the color rendition that is possible with LED lights, and we optically designed the entire lighting system around these advances. The result is a lighting system that reproduces exceptional color with a measured 95 CRI output, and that produces no IR or UV. Try getting those numbers from other scanner manufacturers, who don’t share this basic technical information. No amount of calibration makes up for poor lighting - you should be suspicious of anyone using LEDs or CFLs without at least giving you a CRI number.

WE CARE ABOUT YOUR OPERATORS!

There are many small enhancements across the machine, like the cradle lift stop and the new counterweight system. You can remove the cradle from the scanner, adjust it for each book, and put it back again. Your operator’s backs and arms will thank you - no more leaning over a machine trying to get things right.

We expect the beta test to be completed near the end of October -- stay tuned!
Doranwen

Post by Doranwen »

That looks very exciting--I can't wait! :D Will we get to know ahead of time about how much the scanner will cost? That would really help me out, to be able to start planning how much I need.
scann

Post by scann »

Around 900USD.
Doranwen

Post by Doranwen »

Oh boy, I'll be saving up for a year then, lol. Good to know, thanks.