I built "Auto page flip Scanner"

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

moose
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 20

I built "Auto page flip Scanner"

Post by moose »

I've just finished my build of Book Scanner with Auto page flip.

I uploaded 3 videos to introduce my scanner . As I am Japanese, all naration are Nihongo but I added english sub so you can understand. sorry for inconvenience.

HY Book Scanner Part 1/3 "Introduction
http://youtu.be/pkZ8OfgRig0
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pkZ8OfgRig0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[youtube]pkZ8OfgRig0[/youtube]

HY Book Scanner Part 2/3 " How to prevent Page flip error"
http://youtu.be/ZWdCwYrNQoY
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZWdCwYrNQoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HY Book Scanner Part 3/3 "How this was built"
http://youtu.be/N-cgHq1z8p8
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N-cgHq1z8p8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also uploaded some ref data to the google drive. if you have interest, pls chk follows. I compressed files to the rar. contents are;

1. Layout drawing of platenbox and frame/cradle with some material explanation format is dxf and jwc
2.Controller block diagram
3. Source code(Sketch) of controller(Arduino uno) kindergarden level coding but reding this may help better understanding of entire concept.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4UkEG ... sp=sharing
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: I built "Auto page flip Scanner"

Post by daniel_reetz »

This is really, really, cool!! Congratulations on this excellent build. Thank you for sharing it with us!

This really reminds me of the designs from Aegre Reminiscence and also from Jck57 - were you inspired by their work? Unfortunately, I can't understand Japanese, so I can't see if you give them credit in the video. It would also be interesting to hear how your design is different from theirs.

Nice machine, well done.
rkomar
E-book readers owned: PRS-505, PocketBook 902, PRS-T1, PocketBook 623, PocketBook 840
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by rkomar »

I agree that that is very cool and well thought out. I have my doubts that it would work on a book that just wants to stay closed, but the solution to that would have to be far more complicated, I think (besides just spending some time breaking the book so that it stays open).
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

This seems excellent work in both conception and execution, and surely deserves greater recognition than it has received so far... :D

While it is possible to deduce many details with reasonable certainty from a careful study of the videos, it would be very useful if someone fluent in English who also understands Japanese could write a clear description of the basic operating principles. :?:
jck57

Post by jck57 »

I like this scanner very much. So many reasons to admire it. I especially like the mechanism for raising and lowering the vacuum box platen. This design could also be used with a conventional platen in a semi-automatic scanner. Thanks to the builder, Moose, for sharing this machine and including very good videos as well.
moose
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 20

Post by moose »

daniel_reetz wrote: This really reminds me of the designs from Aegre Reminiscence and also from Jck57 - were you inspired by their work? Unfortunately, I can't understand Japanese, so I can't see if you give them credit in the video.

I started this approach when I saw the ScanRobot 3month ago ,Since I start design, I found this org and got hint from Aegre Reminiscece's video. I suprised that Jck57 already build proto with same approach few years ago.Clearly he is the pioneer of this approach and I deeply respect both Aegre and Jck57.
Thanks for both! What I did may be just extended alittle of what they already did.
I also used the design of cradle from your video. It is simple and smart design . I like it and thanks too.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

This looks so great. I have a friend who I am hoping will translate a transcript of the audio for these videos.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

moose wrote:
daniel_reetz wrote: This really reminds me of the designs from Aegre Reminiscence and also from Jck57 - were you inspired by their work? Unfortunately, I can't understand Japanese, so I can't see if you give them credit in the video.

I started this approach when I saw the ScanRobot 3month ago ,Since I start design, I found this org and got hint from Aegre Reminiscece's video. I suprised that Jck57 already build proto with same approach few years ago.Clearly he is the pioneer of this approach and I deeply respect both Aegre and Jck57.
Thanks for both! What I did may be just extended alittle of what they already did.
I also used the design of cradle from your video. It is simple and smart design . I like it and thanks too.
I clearly see the resemblance to the ScanRobot, and I'm especially glad that even though you came up with this independently, that you were able to find us through Aegre's video. I think we all can see that this is a promising design and everyone here has enough experience with book scanning to see the true value of an auto-scanner. Nice work all around, again, I'm really glad that you stopped by to share your work with us. I hope Duerig's friend comes through with a translation.

About the cradle - glad you found it useful, and that it worked for you.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Great work moose and great videos! I especially like the buckling motion to prevent double page turn.
bokks
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by bokks »

Does anyone know how the platen box is programmed to stop at exactly the book gutter?