Archivist Will Travel

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

johnelle
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 800

Archivist Will Travel

Post by johnelle »

Woot had one of their regular sales of industrial carts so I decided to buy one for my Archivist since it is being claimed as a community resource these days.

http://tools.woot.com/offers/wen-servic ... apacity-11

The challenge is that it doesn't quite fit within the rim of the cart so I have to attach a "table" to the cart top which has about an 1/8 lip around the outside of the top tray. I was just going to use some leftover "white board" material that I bought to build a cradle-enhancement for scanning newspapers--fairly sturdy and the smooth white makes it easy to clean and find small things floating around.

So since you folks seem good at finding obscure hardware components, any suggestions on attaching the board/scanner-table to the car? Gluing and/or screwing wouldn't allow for re-purposing if I don't like the arrangement not doing that. Worried about leaving it free floating because the scanner isn't that heavy.

Pictures / part no. welcome.
ken_grunke
Number of books owned: 100

Re: Archivist Will Travel

Post by ken_grunke »

My first thought was some sort of cam-lock, such as found on a typical sash lock on double-hung windows, but they don't seem to be a suitable design for your needs. A simple rotating eccentric cam with an angled edge bearing against the stand's lip can be made from 1/2" or 3/4" hardwood. If you don't get the picture I can whip up a quick sketch. It would have a lever, you'd rotate it 180 degrees to release. This would be good for a quick-release lock holding the top to the cart.

If you don't need a quick-release, then how about a simple clip held with one screw into the bottom of your base, and bearing up on the cart's edge? Two on each side should work ok.