PVC Tubing Cube (new version)

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

geaplanet
Number of books owned: 0

PVC Tubing Cube (new version)

Post by geaplanet »

Here is a new revision for the pipe cube scanner. In the first version I had some problems with thick books, the platen was pushing me slowly the book whenever it up so, in this version, the platen comes from above like in the David Landin design.
Now the cradle has wheels, but I had to bend the platform becasue with thick books the angle is greater than 90º (because the two sides of the cradle are further apart) and to correct it I had to include sponges. Now it goes perfect.

SOLUTION FOR THE PROBLEM WITH THICK BOOKS

dpc

Re: PVC Tubing Cube (new version)

Post by dpc »

That's a novel approach to solve the problem. I believe that most scanners with a split cradle allow the book's spine to fall below the cradle's lower edges. In your design there isn't room below the cradle edges for this to happen. Thanks for showing your progress!

split cradle
split cradle
Marcus Eastty

Post by Marcus Eastty »

Hey there,

Nice build! Thanks for sharing! I am coming in the process of coming up with plans for my own, probably a cross between yours and David Landin's designs. May I ask, what are the PVC rings that attach the hinges to the PVC called? Here's what I mean...
DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 14680 times
And why are the hinges attaching the platen to the PVC pipe rings asymmetrically attached to the platen? By that I mean, why is the hinge farther from the pivot point of the design flush to the platen while the hinger nearer the pivot point is not? Also, are those hinges loose, allowing the platen to sway to and fro, or are they rigid like the bent T's in David Landin's design?

Here's what I mean:
DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg (177.92 KiB) Viewed 14680 times
Thanks a bunch!
geaplanet

Post by geaplanet »

In spanish it is called "abrazadera de PVC", in english it will be something like "pvc pipe clamp" or something like that.
And about hinges, you are right, it wasn't adjusted, the pipe wasn't horizontal because in that moment I hadn't a small spirit level (only a big one that didn't allow me measure because clamps bikes).
In this photos you can see it is set and perfectly aligned:

* ... the hinges are not rigid but once set they are not move due to the angle imposed by the platen.
Marcus Eastty

Post by Marcus Eastty »

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

One additional question... How does the platen lift? It seems to me like the horizontally oriented T's connecting the crossbar to the vertical pipes swivel right where they connect to the vertically oriented T's. I'm trying to envision how this would work, and all I can think of is that they are threaded (but as one horizontal T loosens, the other would tighten) or that they have been made to have much lower friction than typical because the fit is usually quite snug.

So to sum up: How are you getting the rotation on the crossbar that supports the platen?
geaplanet

Post by geaplanet »

Yes, the "hings effect" is done by two Ts bigger than horizontal pipe. Tomorrow If I have time, I will record a video show you the scanner and how it works.
Marcus Eastty

Post by Marcus Eastty »

That would be tremendously helpful, thank you very much.

Much obliged,
Marcus
Desidichado
E-book readers owned: Sony e-reader
Number of books owned: 5000

Post by Desidichado »

I too am working on a similar build somewhere between the Landin model and this one. Any measurements you might be able to provide would be interesting and appreciated for comparison and contrast, platen size, pipe lengths for cross members corner pillars, etc.

As for the question of the platen arm, I have envisioned taking a roughly 2" length of pipe to connect the two "T" connectors meet up on each side in the back, and sanding them so that they will fit loosely into the outer "T" (with the ultimate plan to glue the other, inner end of the 2" pipe to the inner "T" on both sides after everything is working correctly). The plan is to slather (okay, maybe not slather) the looser fitting outer end of the 2" pipe with lithium grease for a nice smooth (hopefully) hinged movement of the platen arm up and down.

Many Thanks,

Desdichado
geaplanet

Post by geaplanet »