Very cheap scanner made of trash

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

MCbx
E-book readers owned: HP 200LX
Number of books owned: 200

Very cheap scanner made of trash

Post by MCbx »

Few months ago I decided to build a book scanner. I don't have experience in making things of wood, and I've seen only few photos of professional book scanners. I decided to invest in it maximum 50PLN (~15USD?). In Poland, cigarette pack costs about 15-20PLN if You want to know. It is a very simple thing giving not very good results, but for me quality is sufficient.
Image after ScanTailor processing:

First, I bought a 10MPix camera for 20PLN, (very cheap for such one, they normally go for 50-100PLN). Few days later I had a chance to buy second one for 20PLN, so I had to slightly modify my construction (I planned single-camera device). Well, 10PLN left. For everything except cameras.
Having such small budget, I decided to:
1. Use recycled materials as much as possible. It was good as I have lots of post-upgrade leftover computer hardware and there are many furniture parts thrown away near my house.
2. Not use specialized tools/materials, which, when worn off, would require purchasing.
3. If it's not possible to get something from recycling, use militiary surplus parts, as they are very cheap (especially new electric parts 10x cheaper than in shops).
4. Use white ceiling to spread light. Well, anyway it is too big to be portable.
5. Skip complex platten lifting mechanism, by cost of larger cradle dimensions and platten solid enough to be leaned on its rear.

Complete build time: 2 weekends (with parts collecting between). Typical scanning speed (without processing): ca. 20-25 pages/minute.
Build log, photos, ASCII drawings, script downloads: http://mcbx.netne.net/hacks/diyscan/index.htm

"Ready" thing:

Software:
I am using Debian 7 (8 has problem with PTP), gPhoto2 and my own Bash scripts pack forming a terminal-based operating environment. It can be downloaded from webpage and modified to operator's needs.

Workflow:
Scanning: PC on, Cameras on, Setting quality, zoom, white balance on blank page, AF test, connect to PC. Then typical platten up-page-down-scan.
After scanning, rotating and sending to more powerful computer, I'm processing images with ScanTailor Featured, separating text/pictures in export, then Djvu Small and DjVu Imager to create small file.

P.S. I built it in my basement. Next, I decided to move it to another one. Then... well, it won't fit in door :).