Landin Book Scanner + Pi Scan

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

benarcher
Number of books owned: 0

Landin Book Scanner + Pi Scan

Post by benarcher »

I'm building a book scanner based on the David Landin design, but using a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Touchscreen running Pi Scan.

Alongside this I'm also making various customisations (and implementing some bug fixes!) to Pi Scan to suit my own needs.

Those interested can follow my progress on my personal website:

http://benarcher.co.uk
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Landin Book Scanner + Pi Scan

Post by duerig »

This looks like a great project. I expect that you will have a lot of success with David Landin's design.

When you are modifying Pi Scan, please be submit pull requests for any bug fixes. Depending on the nature of the customization you have in mind, they might be suitable for pull requests as well.

When doing development on Pi Scan, I usually find it easiest to plug the Pi into a network and orchestrate things via SSH. If you are building your own image then avoid doing the steps to make it read only until you have a stable build.

If you are using an image you downloaded from the project page, then the code is in /home/pi/pi-scan and any changes you make there will disappear on reboot. To make permanent changes, you need to make the filesystem read/write:

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

Then make sure your changes end up in the 'original' home directory:

/home_org/pi

Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions about developing Pi Scan further. I hope to see some pull requests to improve it.

-D
benarcher
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Landin Book Scanner + Pi Scan

Post by benarcher »

duerig wrote:This looks like a great project. I expect that you will have a lot of success with David Landin's design.

When you are modifying Pi Scan, please be submit pull requests for any bug fixes. Depending on the nature of the customization you have in mind, they might be suitable for pull requests as well.

When doing development on Pi Scan, I usually find it easiest to plug the Pi into a network and orchestrate things via SSH. If you are building your own image then avoid doing the steps to make it read only until you have a stable build.

If you are using an image you downloaded from the project page, then the code is in /home/pi/pi-scan and any changes you make there will disappear on reboot. To make permanent changes, you need to make the filesystem read/write:

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

Then make sure your changes end up in the 'original' home directory:

/home_org/pi

Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions about developing Pi Scan further. I hope to see some pull requests to improve it.

-D
Thanks for your reply! What I didn't mention is that I'm already well in to the build but the blog is lagging somewhat behind! As you say, I also find it easiest to modify Pi Scan on the Pi over the network on your read-only image - as opposed to building one on stock Raspbian. Though, rather than 'plugging in' I've set up the WiFi on the Pi3 for ease of use. I'm familiar with UnionFS so know all about the remounting etc! Thanks anyway :)

There are two or three bugs I've squashed, though hadn't intended to submit pull requests until I had a stable build. I hope that's okay with you! I've added some compatibility for white-balance alteration (Tungsten, your preset, doesn't work particularly well with the LEDs I have) - though this, as you probably know, is rather sketchy as the CHDK property values for WB vary from model to model (my IXUS 160s go 1,2,4,5,6,8! - what happened to 3 and 7!). Rather than hard-coding it, I thought it best to implement something more on the front-end though I realise it may have to be added on a model-by-model basis.

I'll be sure to keep in touch :)