A simple ,inverted, foldable scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

leescott

A simple ,inverted, foldable scanner

Post by leescott »

I read many topics about scanner build,at last ,I find Bob's inverted one ,and bookliberator,and this(http://www.tamtus.com/english/portfolio ... sualtable/) have a advantage ,not to lift board except book itself.More,less complicated,less components.
I decide to make some improvement,here is:
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (11.03 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
But, I'm not good at mechanics and DIY .So I have some questions to ask .
Top is two picture frames.
1\There're three circles ,how to link two picture frame and how to link legs.
2\Dotted line should have a metal link? what kind.
3\Arrows will hve a metal bar to support camera ,which place is better,up or down.
If you answer more detailed ,your advice would help me more.Thanks a lot to all!
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: A simple ,inverted, foldable scanner

Post by duerig »

The simplest thing to do would be to use small brads and wood glue to connect the picture frames together. You can use screws to connect the frames to the legs. For the dotted line, what you want is often called a 'mending bracket'. These are long metal brackets with holes down the center. You could use that to brace the frames and make them more sturdy. The direction of the cameras doesn't matter that much. But it is usually easiest to have them facing 'up' with regard to the viewer when adjusting their positioning.

Best of luck with your design. Overall, I'd just try putting something together and seeing what goes wrong. That will give you a feel for where you might need more bracing or better attachments.

-D