The New "Standard Scanner"

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: The New "Standard Scanner"

Post by daniel_reetz »

JonEP wrote:I'm assuming then that the original parts lists and measurements you provide in the earlier posts are superseded by the revisions, and that they are not being backwards-edited to reflect the new 'new standard.' I think Dan mentioned that in the future you would be posting a new instructable or something of that sort? Is that right?
The plan *is* to eventually create a new Instructable-like document that shows how to build a scanner from end-to-end. This thread is the living document where we can work together to produce it, and where people like yourself can get your hands dirty trying out the design, sharing back what you learn. When we all agree on what it should work and look like, I will commit to gel it all together into something more concrete.
JonEP wrote:If so, for those of us hoping to learn from your efforts, perhaps it makes sense to wait for that, rather than to try to recreate all of the ups and downs working from the initially posted plans and parts lists and then trying to modify them as you acknowledge revisions, yes?
I wouldn't wait if I were you. Here's why -- I'm in the process of tearing down my workshop right now, and I no longer have this New Standard Scanner in my possession. While in LA (duration, at least 1 year) I will not have a workshop and I will have a full-time job, so it may be a while before the plans get "done". I do plan to make a glass platen before I move, but if I have to throw those plans under a bus, I will, and I don't even have a Standard to test it on. I know these DIY Book Scanners are complex enough to give pause, but really, just jump in, you won't regret it. Almost everyone on this forum will help support you, and by contributing back your images and improvements, you will return the favor. It's a win-win.

In short, you'll enjoy the most benefit from this group by building things and asking questions. Sharing back your experiences helps manifest the documentation you're looking for now.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Thanks Dan. OK, I'm not going to wait.

A quick question, then, and sorry for clogging the board (tried to figure out the logic of this on my own, but no luck). What's the purpose of the sliding tracks on the inside of the base? I understand the need to have the book supports adjust for the width of the book. But it seems like having the entire base able to move several inches would result in a lot of variation in the resulting photos. That is, with each snap of an image, the slider might slide, and the book may move slightly relative to the cameras, and, as a result, more post-processing will be necessary to crop the images and get them re-centered. Why is it advantageous to be able to have the whole base slide back and forth?

Thanks so much,
Jon
jhitchcock

Post by jhitchcock »

Just so everyone knows, the y-cable splitter listed above will not work with the Ricoh CA-1. It is made to charge a cell phone and a bluetooth headset. On another note, if anyone needs an extra y-splitter for charging a motorola phone and a bluetooth headset, let me know because I have have an extra.
sarcanon

Post by sarcanon »

jhitchcock wrote:Just so everyone knows, the y-cable splitter listed above will not work with the Ricoh CA-1. It is made to charge a cell phone and a bluetooth headset. On another note, if anyone needs an extra y-splitter for charging a motorola phone and a bluetooth headset, let me know because I have have an extra.
Yowsa. How much and where do I send it?
sarcanon

Post by sarcanon »

daniel_reetz wrote:While in LA (duration, at least 1 year) I will not have a workshop and I will have a full-time job
Is that "LA" as in Louisiana or Los Angeles? If the latter, what brings you there?

Just curious since that's where my crib is. ;)
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

JonEP wrote:What's the purpose of the sliding tracks on the inside of the base?

Thanks so much,
Jon
The platen is fixed to the column. It comes down in the center of the two cameras every time. The book, however, is only "centered" when it is at the center of the book. The images on this page illustrate.
sarcanon wrote:or Los Angeles? If the latter, what brings you there?

Just curious since that's where my crib is. ;)
It's Los Angeles, I got a 1-year stint with Disney Research. Let's meet up. I'll be there by the end of May.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

jhitchcock wrote:Just so everyone knows, the y-cable splitter listed above will not work with the Ricoh CA-1. It is made to charge a cell phone and a bluetooth headset. On another note, if anyone needs an extra y-splitter for charging a motorola phone and a bluetooth headset, let me know because I have have an extra.
Sorry about that, jhitchcock. I went back and edited the shopping post to reflect my mistake. :\
sarcanon

Post by sarcanon »

daniel_reetz wrote:It's Los Angeles, I got a 1-year stint with Disney Research.
That sounds like an awesome place to work.

Do you know where you're living yet? Burbank has its virtues, but there's a reason Johnny Carson used to make fun of it all the time. On the other hand, you may hate commuting more than the heat and will want to live nearby.
daniel_reetz wrote:Let's meet up. I'll be there by the end of May.
Excellent. Would like that very much. I promise, no questions about "optimal cameras for scanning." :-) I'm going to the U.K. next month (hiking Hadrian's Wall with my kids), but we return on the 26th. After a few days clearing out the inevitable backlog at my office, I will be available for a coffee, pint, or what-have-you. My treat.
jhitchcock

Post by jhitchcock »

:)

Dan, your edit "DON'T BUY THIS..." made me laugh. No worries, I just was trying to inject a little sarcasm. For anyone looking into the y-splitter, there doesn't seem to be an easier no-soldier solution besides buying converters and regular usb cables. I can attest for the standard scanner plans - my scanner is 90% built. As soon as I have my second camera I'll be ready to show off my lack of craftsmanship.

One more quibble that would improve the plans: the 90 degree angle brackets will give a much better scanning angle if they are turned so that the camera sits in the middle of the bracket, more in line with a perpendicular shot at the platten. It sort of looks like the camera is sitting inside the bracket. If you imagine you're looking at the back of the camera, here's my visual illustration:

|
|
|
| Camera
|______|_______
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

If you can find two USB extender cables, then all you need to do is cut off the male ends and wire them up to your button and battery. That's probably going to be the best solution. I did an extensive search online, and I couldn't find anything that had two female ends.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.