Scanner Build: "Black Iron" Twin Models A,B

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

spamsickle

Re: Scanner Build: "Black Iron" Twin Models A,B

Post by spamsickle »

I see that Makrolon / Tuffak / Lexan polycarbonate is available in 1/32" thickness, and I'm thinking this might work for a small platen (say, for books 7" x 9.5" and smaller, or maybe even "pocket" books 7" x 4.5" and smaller, which I've just been destroying for the ScanSnap rather than attempting to DIYscan), if the reinforcing ends were still 1/8" or 1/4". Have you tried "going thinner"? If so, what was your experience?
univurshul

Re: Scanner Build: "Black Iron" Twin Models A,B

Post by univurshul »

spamsickle wrote:I see that Makrolon / Tuffak / Lexan polycarbonate is available in 1/32" thickness, and I'm thinking this might work for a small platen (say, for books 7" x 9.5" and smaller, or maybe even "pocket" books 7" x 4.5" and smaller, which I've just been destroying for the ScanSnap rather than attempting to DIYscan), if the reinforcing ends were still 1/8" or 1/4". Have you tried "going thinner"? If so, what was your experience?
No, never occurred to me to go thinner. And the Makrolon will roll up and ship to you in a tube; that's how flimsy it is. I say going thinner than 3/32 is risky money-wise. But fun if you're into the 'torsional' aspects of the challenge. \/

I think a new welding method I'm going to try is with 2 ton epoxy at the V-base seam and aluminum torsion bars. I just ordered 1.6mm AR polycarbonate here for a reasonable price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 005wt_1031