Cardboard tower scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

nightshift
E-book readers owned: Nook Glowlight 4, Kindle Fire 5th gen
Number of books owned: 100

Cardboard tower scanner

Post by nightshift »

There were so many people trying to improve (with materials and/or tools i don't have) my modified version of Daniel Reetz's cardboard box scanner, I decided to have a go at something resembling their suggestions, with materials I actually have.

I present, the down and dirty cardboard box tower scanner.
20240318_210904.jpg
You can't see because of the angles here, but the camera is just sitting on the bottom.

This is only working because the box was a fairly heavy duty one before I started cutting it up, and I didn't try the one textbook sized book on it, I feel like the weight would collapse it and I didn't want to risk breaking my platen. To actually use it for scanning I'd need a light or three and/or would need to line it with white paper or or aluminum foil, there just isn't enough light as is (and, without the tissue on top, I'd have fixture flaring from the light I DO have). Also, as much as scans taken this way would reduce processing time, I have mobility issues so actually picking up the book to turn pages (as opposed to see-sawing my platen) would take MUCH longer, as I wouldn't be able to sit so I'd have to take far more breaks.

So, can we stop being critical about the fact that I used trash to remake the original prototype and just be happy I have a scanner that works for me, so I can move on to learning about processing, PLEASE?
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Cardboard tower scanner

Post by Konos93a »

you should upload one capture page .
your tower is quite interesting i will try to replicate in the future your idea .
the heart and the eyes of diybookscanner is the camera and the way it works . u already done that u fight to make the body now.

use small sticks under the camera to set opposite of the glass while u use the trick with the mirror.

em have u seen the glued cardboard some cat owners buy as a toy to the cats for their nails .
this is something that probably help your scanner u need more glue and more cardboard .
from the inside of your cardbox use cardboard and glue it to can handle more tensions from the top.i suggest 5 layers of cardboard is good

on the capture image use a program to set the lightness and reduce it . u will see how the light is distributed on the captured page .
check these two images viewtopic.php?p=22210#p22210
nightshift wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 23:31 So, can we stop being critical about the fact that I used trash to remake the original prototype and just be happy I have a scanner that works for me, so I can move on to learning about processing, PLEASE?
what do u mean? not only the wood even the glass i use on my scanners found it on a garbage
nightshift
E-book readers owned: Nook Glowlight 4, Kindle Fire 5th gen
Number of books owned: 100

Post by nightshift »

Konos93a wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 20:36 what do u mean? not only the wood even the glass i use on my scanners found it on a garbage
Even if I were able to salvage wood to build an archivist like system, or even a wood framed version of this tower setup, I lack the tools to cut the wood to size. I'd also have to buy fasteners (I DO have a drill, but it's not the most powerful, and I'd probably have to buy drill bits for it depending on fastener size). Drawer slides won't be salvageable, I'll need to buy those to let the cradle move back and forth. I also don't have bungy cords to let the cradle lift/sink as needed, another purchase because people in my area only toss those when they are too stretched out to actually recoil anymore.

To do an inverted tower type scanner requires body movements and positions I can't do for long - I need something that lets me limit actual lifting above my waist, when seated. Ideally, that's an archivist like system - but modified for a single camera. Can't do any inverted systems, I can't move well enough. But, like I said, I don't have the tools or materials to build an archivist or similar from the plans, without spending more money, and I couldn't even get a price on a kit, but I suspect if I could find someone still selling them, the kit would be cheaper.

Remember, there are three ways to approach a diy project of any type - the *best* way, the way that works *for you*, and the way that doesn't work. You keep trying to convince everyone in to something between *best* and *your* way, and not listening to what limitations they say they have which doesn't allow *your* way. This is what I'm asking you to stop doing
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a »

i think there are some misunderstanding in our communication
keep in mind that english is not my main language

i am sorry if i make u feel uncomfortable

i wont reply to any of your new posts

good luck