Easiest platen design yet!

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

JDSimmons

Re: Easiest platen design yet!

Post by JDSimmons »

Thanks for the kind words. I'm writing a FLOSS Manual on e-books which will include a chapter on making your own book scanner. I refer my readers to this site, of course, as well as the article on the cardboard box book scanner, but I wanted to have a chapter that included my own build. These postings have been a warm-up for writing that chapter.

I've scanned three books so far and have submitted two out of the three to the Internet Archive and am preparing one for Project Gutenberg as well. This site has been a terrific resource for me. I don't plan to digitize every book I own, but I do have a collection of neat older books I'd like to share with the world, and even a simple book scanner makes that so much easier.

If anyone wants to check out the manual in progress, it will be found at:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ReadingandSugar/Introduction
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Easiest platen design yet!

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm posting a link to your work here because I think it's excellent and explains things well.

If you ever need any image that I've created for your work on FLOSSmanuals, you have my explicit permission to use them. Whichever images you want, I'll make public domain so they can head out in the FLOSS manual world.