Ideas for glass platen design for use with New Standard?

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

JonEP

Ideas for glass platen design for use with New Standard?

Post by JonEP »

Hi all,

June, my month-of-build, is here and I'm still agonizing over platen design. I've combed the forum but haven't yet found the ideal build for an actual glass platen that could be easily incorporated into the New Standard model very well. I'm reluctant to go with a picture frame option--worried about stability over the long term. So I thought I'd submit a request to you all for ideas, guidance, designs, photos of glass platen structures that are solid and sleek and have a good performance record. Anyone have any great experience to build on?

One idea I've been thinking about--I wonder if it might be possible to set up the sort of frame Dan has laid out for the New Standard, then put a rubber gasket along the interior edge to prevent the glass from sliding, and somehow use clamps of some sort to keep the glass in place. This would allow for replacing the glass easily (no glue to remove) if there were any accidents occasioned by the industrial speed with which this imagined platen will be moving up and down...

Thanks,
Jon
JonEP

Re: Ideas for glass platen design for use with New Standard?

Post by JonEP »

A new idea/question: has anyone tried having holes cut into glass, to allow the glass to be screwed (with gaskets/rubber 'washers') to the frame of the platen apparatus in the same way that the acryllic in the new standard is screwed to the platen frame? In our house we inherited some particularly ugly glass shelves in the bathroom, and I've just removed them and noted that they were held to their stainless steel supports by just such a feature. The screw in this case was a custom job, about 3/4 in across with a slightly curved top that extended beyond the plane of the glass shelf, but perhaps there are other options available. I'm going to take a trip to the local glass shop and sound them out...
you1

Post by you1 »

Hi JonEP,

I haven't been active for sometime on this forum, I'm sure there are better ideas floating...
But I was proud ouf my glass platen...You'll find instruction here..

http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... p?f=1&t=47

Best,
-Edvin
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Oh, yeah, I love that setup. I'd bookmarked it, in fact, although the plexiglass fixture seemed too difficult for me. I've embarked on a version with wood triangles and some mirror clips, will post pictures soon.

Peripherally, how are the dual drawer-slide tracks working for you? I'm thinking of trying some garage door track and rollers....

Oh, yeah, and having holes drilled in glass is out: $20 per hole at the local glass shop here, and requires tempered glass.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

and requires tempered glass
Wow, I didn't know that it was possible to drill/cut/do anything with tempered glass. Huh.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

The 'tempered' thing does seem to contradict all available knowledge out there, wikipedia included. Maybe the person helping me was wrong on that. Pretty sure she was on target with the $20 figure, alas.

So, here are some pics of my new glass platen structure. It is pretty tight, actually, although I may put some rods through the corners, just to keep it all together. Not sure how it's going to work once it's rigged, but it's a lot stronger than I expected. The triangles are 1/2" plywood I had lying around. I lined the edges with a gasket made from some insulation tape, to prevent the glass from breaking under pressure. The clips come from the Home Depot hardware aisle, in the section labeled "hard to find hardware" where they have stuff for glass shelves and doors. I think these are called "scanner platen-glass fastener clips."
platen 1.jpg
platen 1.jpg (199.88 KiB) Viewed 7976 times
Here's a photo of the platen assembly with one pane of glass installed; getting ready to screw holes for the side 2 clips:
platen 3.jpg
platen 3.jpg (104.86 KiB) Viewed 7976 times
Closeup shot of the clips. I originally was going to use those U shaped clips (like the one on the bottom here, holding that piece of glass in place) for both sides, but that created too large of a gap, so I eliminated those from the second side, and allow the back of the U shapped clip from side 1 hold the glass in place.
platen 4.jpg
platen 4.jpg (102.21 KiB) Viewed 7976 times
Here, the glass is installed.
platen 5.jpg
platen 5.jpg (116.27 KiB) Viewed 7976 times
I originally wished that I some sort of clip that would tighten as I screwed it, pulling the clips into place until totally firm. However, as long as the holes are far enough away from the edge, the clips are a bit loose until firmly screwed into place, at which point it all tightens up pretty well. Now the platen assembly can be tossed up into the air without coming apart.

EDIT: Just clamped it to a post, by the back board, and the glass slipped from the clips a bit. I think it's workable, though--the major issue is front to back integrity (ie, from wood triangle to wood triangle). I'm going to go buy a threaded rod and put one in each upper corner to secure that dimension. More soon.
-Jon
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

I put two 1/8" rods in along the top corners, and now the platen will 'hang' in place, suspended by the back wood panel. Ideally it would be great to be able to do a similar 'tension rod' near the V of the platen, but that would interfere with the picture and I'm already worried about the crack between the panels. For now this is OK, though. Need perhaps a few more clips along the edges, and an all around loosen and then re-tighten.
fixed-1.jpg
fixed-1.jpg (111.46 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
Look, no hands!
Look, no hands!
fixed-2.jpg (115.5 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
you1

Post by you1 »

JonEP wrote:...Peripherally, how are the dual drawer-slide tracks working for you?

Hi JonEP,

The dual drawer-slide with counter weight works great; I definately recommend it.
However, I must admit that I'm corious how the following builds would measure up in regards to raising the platen.

http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=376
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=274
I'm thinking of trying some garage door track and rollers....
That sounds like a great idea.

Best,
-Edvin