My 3rd Generation Scanner Build Thread

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: My 3rd Generation Scanner Build Thread

Post by daniel_reetz »

I have been so busy trying to finish this scanner that I haven't been able to spend much time updating you guys with progress. For that, I am sorry, but I will come back with step-by-step images of the process after I give my talk at the Google Books conference "D is for Digitize" at NYLS.

For now, here are a few pictures of what I got done over the weekend. I am very, very close to a laser-cuttable scanner which collapses to carry-on luggage size (22x11x11"). I'm down to details, lighting, and a case now. I am extremely happy with the way this thing is turning out. I feel like it's just a little ways from a truly "printable", portable, quality scanner.
scnr_0006_Layer 1.jpg
scnr_0006_Layer 1.jpg (208.03 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
scnr_0005_Layer 2.jpg
scnr_0005_Layer 2.jpg (229.09 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
scnr_0004_Layer 3.jpg
scnr_0004_Layer 3.jpg (171.54 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
scnr_0003_Layer 4.jpg
scnr_0003_Layer 4.jpg (165.54 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
scnr_0002_Layer 5.jpg
scnr_0002_Layer 5.jpg (154.73 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
scnr_0001_Layer 6.jpg
scnr_0001_Layer 6.jpg (175.23 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
scnr_0000_Layer 7.jpg
scnr_0000_Layer 7.jpg (193.43 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
this is just a small fraction of junked assemblies and cutout sheet waste from the multiple dozens of mistakes and missteps I've made in the process.
waste1.jpg
waste1.jpg (152.43 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
waste2.jpg
waste2.jpg (169.18 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

OMG, it's like some kind of twisted alternate-history Medieval book scanner! It's full of awesome! The only thing it's missing is scrollwork!

Also... how long would it take to put that thing together?

Good luck with the talk!

--Rob
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks, Rob! I quite like this laser aesthetic, too.

I don't know anymore how many hours of laser cutting this would take with my laser but... a few to be sure. Laser time is, unfortunately, expensive. Higher power lasers could cut this stuff in minutes.

The actual assembly is reasonably quick. Almost everything bolts together. I'd say one long afternoon for all the non-glued stuff, and one more afternoon for the platen (the glass is laser-etched and epoxied to the epoxied-together wood frame, takes time to dry/fit). So far the entire thing fits on a 4x8' piece of maple ply: $9 at Home Depot.

There are still the electronics to be dealt with, which would add a little time but could easily be produced en masse.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

rob wrote:OMG, it's like some kind of twisted alternate-history Medieval book scanner! It's full of awesome! The only thing it's missing is scrollwork!
Hmmm... maybe I should engrave this image on it somewhere. ;)
fbonomi

Post by fbonomi »

this is going to be jaw-dropping! A medieval machinery, like a trebuchet, or a steampunk AT-AT walker.

I like the 80 holes matrix idea. It's the woodden equivalent of Carver Meade's "waste transistors!".

I.e. there might be a smarter positioning for the holes, but just make a lot of them, we'll find the proper way to use them.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

fbonomi wrote:I.e. there might be a smarter positioning for the holes, but just make a lot of them, we'll find the proper way to use them.
:D

Exactly! I was doing all kinds of careful, time-consuming measurement... and then I realized I could just build in slop to the system at essentially no cost.

These camera plates are another example. I just gave myself room for error with indicator markers. In the final version, I'll lock in the correct measurements.

Back to the workshop... gotta keep moving.
Attachments
cmra_hldrs.jpg
cmra_hldrs.jpg (156.13 KiB) Viewed 9935 times
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

rob wrote:OMG, it's like some kind of twisted alternate-history Medieval book scanner! It's full of awesome! The only thing it's missing is scrollwork!
I'm definitely getting a Steampunk vibe from these pictures. Burning some Victorian gingerbread filigree patterns on the device might be indicated.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks, all. I see where you guys are coming from, but to me, this isn't steampunk. Not that we need another $punk, but I think of this as... laser-punk, if it's anything at all. ;) I like the "steampunk AT-AT walker" idea... something like a militarized, rapid-protoyping NASA artifact... heh.

Two whole nights on the lighting system and it's still incomplete, but approaching completeness. Teaser with the LEDs laying in the platen:
lighting.jpg
lighting.jpg (142.78 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Wowzers! I love the huge toroidal transformer! I'll bet your workshop smells like a nice campfire when your laser cutter is working on those pieces...

Along the Medieval line, you could also inscribe "Formam Transmutare Divinus" (Format shifting is divine!)
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

rob wrote:Wowzers! I love the huge toroidal transformer! I'll bet your workshop smells like a nice campfire when your laser cutter is working on those pieces...

Along the Medieval line, you could also inscribe "Formam Transmutare Divinus" (Format shifting is divine!)
HA! Yes! I'll put it on there in OCR-A

I've done so much lasering lately that pretty much everything I own smells like a campfire... my fingers are yellow from the burnt glue residue.