My 3rd Generation Scanner Build Thread

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: My 3rd Generation Scanner Build Thread

Post by daniel_reetz »

FedEx delivered my scanner today, with the platen and one of the camera mounts smashed.

I had put insurance on it, now I am waiting to go through their claims process. In the meantime, I've cut new parts for the sides and also gotten my hands on some new glass, so a new platen will be on the way ASAP.
Attachments
IMG_3258.JPG
IMG_3258.JPG (240.34 KiB) Viewed 10176 times
IMG_3250.JPG
IMG_3250.JPG (197.05 KiB) Viewed 10176 times
IMG_3239.JPG
IMG_3239.JPG (235.5 KiB) Viewed 10176 times
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

Bummer man. Must have been some grumpy writer/editor/publisher who's had to find work as a freight handler...
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

StevePoling wrote:Bummer man. Must have been some grumpy writer/editor/publisher who's had to find work as a freight handler...
HA AHAAAAHAHAHAHA, toooo perfect!
fbonomi

Post by fbonomi »

yikes!
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

: (
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks, all. I am not as upset as I probably should be, mostly because I wanted to "test" the scanner by sending it through the mail. Now I know that it cannot be mailed. In addition, this is just good proof that it can be easily repaired. I cut the parts last night, and this morning before school/work I had half the assembly done.

Things I learned:

*wood glue is vastly superior to epoxy for putting these parts together. (duh, it's wood, danno)
*the order of assembly is confusing and parts need to be marked clearly to prevent this, including screw orientation.
*some kind of thing needs to be made to get the glass in at exactly the right depth.
*the bits that attach to the slides is finicky to build right and should be simplified somehow.

new_platen_IMG_3282.jpg
new_platen_IMG_3282.jpg (162.73 KiB) Viewed 10152 times
new_platen_IMG_3288.jpg
new_platen_IMG_3288.jpg (179.16 KiB) Viewed 10152 times
new_platen_IMG_3294.jpg
new_platen_IMG_3294.jpg (148.84 KiB) Viewed 10152 times
new_platen_IMG_3282.jpg
new_platen_IMG_3282.jpg (162.73 KiB) Viewed 10152 times
Attachments
new_platen_IMG_3296.jpg
new_platen_IMG_3296.jpg (153.75 KiB) Viewed 10152 times
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Maybe it could be mailed with sufficient padding?
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

As I see it there are two options. I could mechanically secure the glass platen with some kind of strap, which would certainly help. Mechanical security on the existing design is not so good.

The other option is to use acrylic for the platen. That basically shatterproofs the thing.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

daniel_reetz wrote:As I see it there are two options. I could mechanically secure the glass platen with some kind of strap, which would certainly help. Mechanical security on the existing design is not so good.

The other option is to use acrylic for the platen. That basically shatterproofs the thing.
Or can you pop the glass our of its mounting and move it to a safer, padded spot?

Imagine the device has three distinct configurations: 1) operational, 2) storage, 3) shipping. Configuration #2 is optimized for ease/speed of setup-teardown and to best fit on a shelf in your shop. Configuration #3 takes a little longer and includes a some more fiddly bits (and bubble wrap) to setup-teardown. You could have bits of bracing and padding that's purely for #3.

Or, you could keep two sets of plates. Glass for use at or near home. Acrylic to take on the road.
kthiessen

Post by kthiessen »

when i ship glass i usually use styrofoam bumpers to keep the glass from contacting anything, kind of like a shock guard. that can only help so much though