My 3rd Generation Scanner Build Thread

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Karyudo
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch
Number of books owned: 0

Re: My 3rd Generation Scanner Build Thread

Post by Karyudo »

[quote="daniel_reetz"]"Ode to Karyudo"

Hahahahaha! I just got back from vacation, and this is about the third post I read. Nice!

I'm looking forward to catching up...
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Cool!

The felt covers work smashingly, I can make them for anyone here. They are a little tough to stick to the cameras with double-sided tape. Glue would be better. The other thing I did was took the little ring off from around the lens and spraypainted it flat black. It all but destroyed any camera reflection. I have one more idea that should really help... for the next version, I am going to make a little light shield that hangs over the camera to prevent the illumination from lighting it at all.
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

Has using the ply wood to build your 3rd Gen Scanner proven to be a sturdy and stable material for the end product?
Plautus

Post by Plautus »

I think I'll work a bit on a platen frame this week, perhaps with a folding design like yours, but at the moment I'm wondering about lifting the platen: I'm using tempered glass myself and am worried about weight with my original plan of using a hingelellogram. it looks like you finally decided against using the hingelellogram in favor of using half drawer slides on the back; is that right? Any springs or anything back there to help with the weight? How is the platen lifting action comfort-wise on this rig?
Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I did decide against the hingeallelogram. I think it works best with "lightweight" acrylic platen designs. It definitely didn't work very well with my glass platen.

I will take some pictures for you this morning, but basically my platen is riding on two drawer slides, which are raised just a little by two rubber bands. This arrangement works *beautifully* even with my cheap windowpane glass. Your tempered glass will be much stronger and should be fine, strength-wise. It is a bit heavier-lifting than my first scanner, but it hasn't bothered me much. I've only scanned a half-dozen books on it so far, but I didn't find the weight to be any problem, or the motion, for that matter.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

jrichards wrote:Has using the ply wood to build your 3rd Gen Scanner proven to be a sturdy and stable material for the end product?
So far, so good.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I don't have the time to fight the forum software into posting masses of pictures this morning. Here's a zip file full of images of the lifting mechanism 10mb; I'll post a few short animations in a minute. If you have the time to post the images from this collection that answer your question, that would be awesome.

As with the other images, these are all public-domain.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Here are a few animations from the images I posted.
Attachments
bookscanner_rear_lift_mechanism.gif
bookscanner_rear_lift_mechanism.gif (1.84 MiB) Viewed 10063 times
bookscanner_front_lift_mechanism.gif
bookscanner_front_lift_mechanism.gif (845.24 KiB) Viewed 10063 times
bookscanner_lazy_susan.gif
bookscanner_lazy_susan.gif (841.02 KiB) Viewed 10063 times
LucasTizma

Post by LucasTizma »

So... I guess the only question I have is... How much do you charge to create one of your mind-blowing DIY -- or I guess in this case, it would be SEDIH (someone-else-does-it-himself) -- book scanners for me? :shock:
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Welcome to the forums!

I've gotten no less than five such requests in the last hour so I have yo make this clear: My time and this scanner are not and will not ever be for sale. I will not make scanners for anyone. I will, however, provide the artwork for this so you can pay someone else to make one. That will happen by the end of the year.

I am serious about the DIY thing.