My 3rd Generation Scanner Build Thread

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: My 3rd Generation Scanner Build Thread

Post by daniel_reetz »

Ha, yeah. I've been sewing since I was a little boy. My mom ran a sewing business. Actually, I learned to sew on the machine you see there. It's come in very handy over the years. It's hard to find all-metal machines like the Bernina 1130 these days, so much so that this Bernina goes for almost new price even after 27 years of service.

I can knit, but I hate it. I commission my friend Miche to knit things for me. ;)
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

daniel_reetz wrote:It's hard to find all-metal machines like the Bernina 1130 these days, so much so that this Bernina goes for almost new price even after 27 years of service.
This is good to hear. Last summer I spent the almost price of a new sewing machine getting my Mom's Necchi fixed. (for my daughter's use.) This makes me think I didn't waste my money on sentiment.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I finished my scanner about 3am. It now has arduino-controlled cameras and lighting, and when I return from NYC, I am going to integrate You1's scripting power into it.

This thing totally kicks ass. I need a nap, here is a teaser.
scanner_lights.gif
scanner_lights.gif (105.9 KiB) Viewed 8773 times
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

"Ode to Karyudo"
felt_covers.jpg
felt_covers.jpg (131.34 KiB) Viewed 8773 times
fbonomi

Post by fbonomi »

daniel_reetz wrote:This thing totally kicks ass.
Couldn't agree more, that's something to be proud of.

It was worth the time you put into it, and it will definitely impress the public.

Not that Ithink about it, it's SO impressive you might have some problems with security, it looks really scary :shock:

Are you flying there or driving?

Also, you might need to speak with the organizers beforehand and let them know that you are comng with a device apparently out of an horror movie :-)
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Or FedEx it to the location. TSA hates anything that looks "homemade". Or, you could stick a bunch of official-looking product labels on it and maybe an official-looking instruction sheet so they don't start breaking the wood to see if there's explosives inside! But whatever you do, don't include a note "To The TSA" because then they'll be sure it's a bomb.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I was worried about this. The power supply, in particular, has a lot of wiring coming out all over. It doesn't look factory made.

What I did was take it to the airport today and talked to a TSA agent. He told me he thought it would be fine. I also printed out the conference invitation, my hotel reservation, and some color photos of the book scanner unfolded and working. Everything I'm doing is 100% legitimate. I printed the photos because if they decide not to like my scanner, I will not be able to demonstrate it, so best to show it the way it is.

If they decide to be unhappy with it tomorrow, I have my friend Michelle on call to send it Same Day air, but it will be $219 minimum.

Wish me luck, guys. If only I'd had time to make a more professional-looking power supply, I'd be feeling no pain about this at all. Oh well.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I hate to make you worry, but the time that the TSA smashes the item is when you've already waved bye-bye to it at check-in if you're sending it to the hold. Unless it's a carry-on... and then they could always require you to put it in the hold anyway :(

I really hope it makes it through!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

It's carry-on size and weight. If it doesn't go carry-on, it doesn't go, I won't take chances with the cargo bay. :\
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

if I had been *really* smart, I would have cut 2x every part, mailed one and shipped one.