My 3rd Generation Scanner Build Thread

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: My 3rd Generation Scanner Build Thread

Post by rob »

Awesome! The revolution has begun! :D
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
le.gentleman

Post by le.gentleman »

This design looks so great, that I think this thread deserves to be revived!

Have you Daniel and Dario had a chance yet to work on the GPL license and perfect the design? I"d be really curious to know what improvements you were able to make.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

We pretty much stopped where it was due to outside life pressures (just getting busy on other projects, really). It *is* a beautiful design, but I don't think it's for everyone. At this point, I need to make a new blog post that says people can actually use it, because that's how I feel and how it should be.
le.gentleman

Post by le.gentleman »

I see. Do you think you will finish it eventually or is it just something you will probably not have the time for anymore?
What exactly remains to be done? and in terms of percentage - how far away are you from this goal?

Are you still in touch with Dario?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

It works as-is, and the total artwork, schematics, etc have been linked earlier in the thread - I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "finish it" - can you help me understand a bit better?

I don't think this is the book scanner for everyone, since this time I've made three different designs (check the "waterjet" thread as well as the "haiti" thread) and they've all improved on the things I learned here. I have an announcement to make soon regarding some future projects with an outside entity. No promises on anything, unfortunately, other than that I'm going to be spending a lot more time here, soon.