Gorilla Glass & Aluminosilicate glass

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

BookReader

Re: Gorilla Glass & Aluminosilicate glass

Post by BookReader »

I'm just beginning my first build based largely off the New Standard. While I was planning on purchasing the platen today GG seems very promising, too promising to pass up infact, though antiglare would be really outstanding. The bottom line is that if a batch order is being considered for GG and the price per sheet comes out sub ~$10, as it appears it would, I want in.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

Just an update on a general quote:
UNIVURSHUL: We are looking for flat gorilla glass, sections somewhere near 11"x14", strengthened at 1.1mm gauges. No design, no special altering, no drilling, etc. Let's say I want 20 sheets in this size; let's start there.
...We would ship your finished glass parts (no cutting on your end). Once we get that in place, the order is just placed with our US customer service (I’ll get them involved when we get to that point).

Lead time on quotes is running about a week. Lead time on parts is at least 4-6 weeks.

Kristopher Clark
North American Account Manager | Gorilla Glass
Corning Incorporated
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

I'm looking for the fabrication of a sectional platen (or foldable). This is the goal. We know we can silicone a platen together. But for extra thin and durable glass, the goal is portability and clean seams to reach further into a book. While creating standoffs to separate the glass is a good idea I once thought viable, the opposing glass tends to bend until you reach a gauge near 2.0mm.
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 13267 times
So maybe we settle with 2mm. But I think this decision should be carried out after a few solutions have been worked-up.

Remember. It's GG. You can't drill into it, cut it, nothing. You have to build a platen with the panes as is. If you're looking to physically test and develop a mini-platen with any of these samples, PM me and we'll work the details. I highly recommend we individually seek samples from Corning to start constructing and testing platen frames.

I have samples of hardened G.G.: 1.1mm, 1.5mm and 2.0mm (2 of each in sizes 365mm x 228mm; 1.1mm panes are sized 228mm x 228mm).
Last edited by Anonymous on 21 Oct 2010, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I have a folding platen design that's been implemented in wood and metal, but I'm interested in improving it.

Maybe we should start a new thread called "perfecting the platen" or something and really work this out.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

daniel_reetz wrote: Maybe we should start a new thread called "perfecting the platen" or something and really work this out.
yeah, I totally agree. I'm working on a scanner build this week, when I wrap, I'll try and condense my notes. The platen architecture/material topic is dotted throughout the forum. (I am getting some benefit to the search field now; data is ratcheting up nicely for testers and tweakers)
daniel_reetz wrote:I have a folding platen design that's been implemented in wood and metal, but I'm interested in improving it.
This example is one I've seen. Did you implement it on your third/porta design? 2mm GG might even work like this.

hmm. I have an idea....
Mark Main
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Mark Main »

Maybe we should start a new thread called "perfecting the platen" or something and really work this out.
Did this thread continue somewhere else?

I would be interested in purchasing some if there is a group buy; also, I live near Stillwater, MN and so I would be willing to pick up the product and ship it out individually; I would just need to charge for the actual cost of the shipping boxes and the individual shipping costs to people.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

No, the G.G. division of Corning haven't returned my calls, emails. I've thrown some serious time at Corning to get an order placed; only samples have have been shipped.

Maybe I find their competitor, but it's not looking good. At present, they have the G.G. market cornered and are scrambling to supply every electronics device maker with the material.

You might want to consider picking up a set of samples of different gauges.
Mark Main
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Mark Main »

No, the G.G. division of Corning haven't returned my calls, emails. I've thrown some serious time at Corning to get an order placed; only samples have have been shipped.

Maybe I find their competitor, but it's not looking good. At present, they have the G.G. market cornered and are scrambling to supply every electronics device maker with the material.

You might want to consider picking up a set of samples of different gauges.
Since I'm in town here I'll try to see if being a local can help me with Ben Garbowski at Marathon Glass in Stillwater to see if anything has changed to get a small order; I'll let folks here know what I find out. It seems that he's willing to sell a small order of say 6 to 20 pieces and so we would easily be able to find buyers here I think, because that would only be 3 people interested to get the minimum order, and if we got 10+ the pricing would get better.

From what I've read it seems that you recommend the 2.0mm is this correct?

I see that he quoted their standard size of 405mm (15.95") x 460mm (18.11"), but we want 11x15.

I'll make some calls to Ben and also around the Corning corporate to see where I land... sometimes multiple tries gets lucky.
E^3

Post by E^3 »

Hey folks,

Good Day!

I am interested in a group buy, can anybody tell the contact person in Corning
to handle overseas order (I am from the Philippines)?

15" x 18 "x 405mm

Anybody who could share info?

Thanks

E^3
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

E^3 wrote: I am interested in a group buy, can anybody tell the contact person in Corning
to handle overseas order (I am from the Philippines)?
You might have better success looking for G.G. in Asia, as they produce this product in China. (I received samples direct from Shanghai.)

..And if you're successful at purchasing direct through the China division, let us know. I already have a design ready for G.G., and I couldn't get two square panes even if I paid full retail...this sucks.