Gorilla Glass & Aluminosilicate glass

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

univurshul

Re: Gorilla Glass & Aluminosilicate glass

Post by univurshul »

I had another conversation with Corning today.

The Gorilla Glass team is working on an anti-glare technology imbedded into their G.G. grades, every gauge.
It's so new, they can't send me out samples. But this basically means you'll have an amazingly durable, scratch resistant, low-reflective/high transmission very thin and torsionally stiff pane to flatten a book page.

I wonder how shatter-proof it is compared to Lexan?

But I do have samples of normal G.G. on order. And I'm looking forward to testing. :P I'll post findings once they come in.
univurshul

Gorilla Glass: 1.1mm-Gauge for Platen Material

Post by univurshul »

Samples of Gorilla glass arrived today. They ended-up sending me 3 pieces of the same gauge (1.1mm), but it turns out this gauge is perfect for platen construction anyway. Apparently, this is the same gauge for touch-screen displays (or all the gauges may state it's for touch-interfaces, not sure):
2010_08_09_15_19_57.pdf
(189.55 KiB) Downloaded 871 times
I Donned the cut-resistant gloves and carried-out my own stress tests + marring tests...
This stuff is superb. Highly durable. Excellent clarity. Bends like plastic, yet remains much more torsionally stiff than any acrylic/polycarbonate sheeting at this guage. 1.1mm; it's featherweight. Doesn't have the 'feel' when in-hand that it can flatten a book page, but sure enough, this stuff applies stout pressure, likely even more upon platen-frame construction.

This would make an excellent component to a hinging/collapsing platen.

Only downside is product cost, but I'm fairly optimistic there'll be competition mass-producing break-free thin glass very soon.

This comes at a time when the Scan Tailor team is on the verge of solving page warping & curving...
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (31.86 KiB) Viewed 13250 times
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg (63.69 KiB) Viewed 13250 times
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

Looks great! I'm glad we've found what seems like an ideal platen material. Thanks for looking into this.

How's reflectivity?
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!

Did the cost seem like it would come down in quantity? I'd take part in a group buy. Thanks, Univurshul!
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

daniel_reetz wrote:I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!

Did the cost seem like it would come down in quantity? I'd take part in a group buy. Thanks, Univurshul!
Yeah, it's looking as if prices are better for us if we organize a group buy, I'm interested in taking part as well. They chemically process the glass in batches, so this only makes sense. Looking at the price sheet, the 1.1mm sections are ~15"x18" and under, which should cover most of us dimensionally.

I was thinking we figure out how many serious people want this done in the next 6-8 weeks, place an order, and simply sell off any extras in Agora or have backups, etc.

I'll hit-up the regional processors with a price quote and post it here. Might be Monday, as these guys take their sweet time responding.
Misty wrote:How's reflectivity?
Although it's extremely thin, the finished surface if this glass is basically identical to mineral glass, so I'm assuming it plays the same with light rays. I personally believe I see less glare than 1/8" double-strength glass, and that might be gauge-related to the opposing platen-pane being less thick, in theory. But I have no hard evidence to back that statement.

I recently built a 1/16" platen made of lexan (http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=375), and I noticed some reduction in glare vs. 1/8" glass, but even the lexan exhibited glare at that gauge. So, until G.G. is made with anti glare properties built-in the glass (2011 for smartphones), I think we still need to treat lighting, camera placements,etc. the same with this new material.

...Think I posted too soon, as Corning sent me 3 each of 1.55mm and 2.05mm G.G. that arrived in the mail today. These sheets are huge for samples, 14.5"x9"!!?
Glad they don't have my credit card, wooh. I can build a small platen already! Thanks Corning, you rock!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Although it's extremely thin, the finished surface if this glass is basically identical to mineral glass, so I'm assuming it plays the same with light rays
One interesting thing here is that, if it flexes, we may experience "traveling glare" (I just made that up, but I mean a moving specular highlight). Should be interesting...
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

True...Also depends on how the platen + cradle is built; specifically for hard cover, tightly bound books.

I have the stuff in hand; I think the 1.1mm is pushing the "thin" envelope, but it is amazingly rigid across the pane considering its thickness. (The flexing pictured wasn't achieved that easily. For starters, I've never bent a piece of glass like that, it's counter to everything I've learned in physics. Although you'll see some flex at 1.1mm, if you build a platen with this it's going to be really difficult getting heavy flexion across the glass). I suppose some flex could create this traveling glare, but I hadn't noticed it on the 0.060 lexan build. I'm assuming the same with G.G.

The other gauges (1.55 & 2.05) are stout, but obviously heavier + you'll lose ~.5-1.0+mm of reveal. If you build enough torsion control into your frame, the only way I see causing glare bends are from too much downward force, which is not good, because it will curve the page at that point anyway, and well, reducing page-curve is obviously the sole purpose of the platen.
Last edited by Anonymous on 13 Aug 2010, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

Another mad-hatter idea I had was to create a reverse-camber platen, where it was convex just enough by the time it hit the book, it would flatten from the energy stored in the glass (or lexan) pane, spreading the force outward from its center , thus flattening the book and flattening the glass.

Nuvo riche glass standoffs come to mind when fabricating a system to store energy in the center of the pane.
DDavid

Post by DDavid »

I'd be interested in some GGlass even if not glare resestent in a thinner sheet. Not sure
right now what size I need but larger than most need. I'm covered up at the moment with
getting a new roof on the house and personally doing the strucrual repairs needed. 105 degree
heat factor is killing my out of hape self workinf in an even hotter attic!! :D :D Hopefully we
can get different sizes in the same order for treatment. This editor is working very weird right
now so please forgive the spelling.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

DDavid wrote:I'd be interested in some GGlass even if not glare resestent in a thinner sheet. Not sure
right now what size I need but larger than most need. I'm covered up at the moment with
getting a new roof on the house and personally doing the strucrual repairs needed. 105 degree
heat factor is killing my out of hape self workinf in an even hotter attic!! :D :D Hopefully we
can get different sizes in the same order for treatment. This editor is working very weird right
now so please forgive the spelling.
I recommend you request samples from Corning to physically determine the thickness you'll want. I've tried every thickness from 1.1mm to 2.05mm (there is spec./pricing data on page 1). I personally think going below 1.1mm is too thin, but the stuff is amazing...and I've been wrong before. I've scanned a couple hundred books now, and I can guestimate that torsional stiffness below 1mm in G.G. is questionable for hard cover books. For paperback, I think it could work, but you'll experience page-bend under the glass and/or traveling glare as Daniel suggested. And it does depend on your platen frame constructions, how much force it absorbs from manual downward pressure, etc.

You will have to pay per/cut for special cuts. The dimensions provided on page 1 are 'near-field' factory dimensions of 11"x14" in relation to the DIY 'New Standard' by Daniel Reetz. (Only, Corning measures and cuts in millimeters).

I will post when I have more information. My suggestion at the moment is if the price break is only a few dollars per pane of glass, I may suggest individual orders be initiated, as the preferences for size and gauge are wide open, and caching sheets for resale in Agora could prove to be low in demand for the glass.