Build a Platen for Under $20 USD

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

univurshul

Build a Platen for Under $20 USD

Post by univurshul »

I'm rolling into evolving my builds for my third and fourth models and needed materials to experiment for a new platen idea.
My thinking began with finding an aluminum frame that can route the trigger cable and 2 sheets of glass; and the real bonus is that this platen folds-up like a book---that is my master plan, but wanted a rough-draft, so-to-speak.

I also realized there's a number of users looking for very cost-effective, simple build assemblages. So I figured I'd try and test my new ideas while attempting to produce a successful budget unit at the same go...

...And there it was: a poster frame staring at me on a shelf in Walmart. $14.99. Granted, Walmart has some real crap that makes me wonder why people would even consider purchasing, but I've challenged my resourcefulness this past year by looking at stuff in terms of usability for transcribing media. I managed to successfully mod this entire poster frame and turn it into a usable platen. It doesn't get any easier than this. I was able to cut the plastic with ease, cut the angles I needed while leaving the frame intact, found a few pieces of plastic and predrilled the frame-brackets. Done in 1.5 hours. Even the black poster frame back-sheeting was cut-down to make a cradle. You can mount a trigger, a hinge and it's as good as a plastic shop's build.
Attachments
IMG_0001.1.jpg
turning root beer into beer.
(360.12 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
IMG_0001.jpg
separate the pieces of the poster frame. You'll cut this down the middle through the longer side of the frame. Same for the plastic.
(226.8 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
IMG_0008.jpg
determine your theta for platen angle. I'm testing a 40 degree model here.
(480.43 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
IMG_0010.jpg
I found some old acrylic cut-offs and used these as my frame supports, hinge-mounting plates and trigger bracket plates, etc.
(253.66 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
IMG_0011.jpg
(301.88 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
IMG_0013.jpg
(257.65 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
IMG_0015.jpg
the parts were cheap, but your work doesn't have to be
(294.2 KiB) Downloaded 399 times