Finished my scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Hasher

Re: Finished my scanner

Post by Hasher »

Impressive scanner and great workmanship ! If it wasnt so useful we would have to call it art :-D
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

jcii wrote:I'm imagining something like Chris & Ann's build, only out of aluminum.
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=186

- A double-wide (DW) extrusion for the vertical frame piece. The drawer-rails will attach to the vertical pieces.
- A DW extrusion for the top horizontal piece.
- For the bottom, two DW extrusions, with a single-wide extrusion connecting them to the rest of the frame. The two at the bottom are so the book tray will have two points of contact and move more fluidly.

I'm curious if the platen frame could be made from the 80/20 extrusion. The long edge of the glass would connect to the drawer-rail via a hinge of some sort.

Also, my sketch has the base somewhat narrow...maybe the 1x1 beams should be 10-12" long to give more stability?

Something like that should be sturdy and use less materials, no?
I think is great! Start a thread if you're open to sharing the course of your build. Best of luck.

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on some 100mm extrusions myself.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I don't know if it was mentioned here, but I'd love to have a rough sense of the cost of these 80/20 systems. Seems to me that extrusion is a pricey way to go. Not bad, just expensive.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

daniel_reetz wrote:I don't know if it was mentioned here, but I'd love to have a rough sense of the cost of these 80/20 systems. Seems to me that extrusion is a pricey way to go. Not bad, just expensive.
I know...half the battle is finding an online merchant that has disclosed pricing. The other issue is finding a raw aluminum, brushed finish. The anodized treatment is expensive, but we're painting the stuff flat black, so anodized finishes are unnecessary, I think. The 80/20 template looks like it accompanies the most accessories for assemblage, but I also found some 100mm extrusion that looks like it'll fit the bill, and a more hollow, torsionally stiff tube that can free-stand as well. I'll start a build thread if I pull the trigger on this stuff.
translucent1
E-book readers owned: kindle 1, kindle 2
Number of books owned: 300

Post by translucent1 »

For the 80/20 extrusions, you can see what McMaster charges: http://www.mcmaster.com/#structural-framing/=89l2wo

Pretty much any other vendor you buy from should have lower prices than that. McMaster is fast and has great stock but certainly isn't the cheapest.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

translucent1 wrote:...The cradle is pretty much standard, with left/right and width adjustments. The max book dimensions are 12"x10". Since I'm going to be using this mainly for textbooks, I don't anticipate needing to handle anything larger...
translucent1,

When you have some time down the road, can you post a few pics how your cradle slides across the extrusion pieces?

I had this idea of a book-bind pincher adjusted by curled control knobs where the cradle separates and rejoins to "pinch & clamp" a hard cover book bind; either on a sliding mechanism or milled aluminum plate.

Anyone developed on this yet? (wood or metal, no matter, I thought I saw an adjustable cradle that does this)
jck57

Post by jck57 »

univurshul wrote:
translucent1 wrote:...The cradle is pretty much standard, with left/right and width adjustments. The max book dimensions are 12"x10". Since I'm going to be using this mainly for textbooks, I don't anticipate needing to handle anything larger...
translucent1,

When you have some time down the road, can you post a few pics how your cradle slides across the extrusion pieces?)
Looks like drawer glides. Some time back I was looking at 80/20 bits for a scanner design and I found nice linear glides that could be used with a single upright extrusion for guiding the platen up and down. This would eliminate the racking problems associated with dual glides as well as reduce the upper superstructure to one vertical post.

As always, the downside to 80/20 stuff is cost.
translucent1
E-book readers owned: kindle 1, kindle 2
Number of books owned: 300

Post by translucent1 »

Here's a quick snapshot of the cradle. I used several pieces of 1" UMHW Polyethylene U-channel which slides on the 1" 80/20 extrusions to allow the base to move left and right, and then a couple of plain bearing drawer slides to allow the cradle to open and close.

And the cradle really is flat black, it's just dusty because I temporarily moved it to my garage while I was cutting some more MDF :D
crade_slides.jpg
crade_slides.jpg (100 KiB) Viewed 15129 times
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

Very cool. Nice work.
iwenttoofast

Post by iwenttoofast »

This is a great-looking build. Very nice and looks like it works well. Painting the aluminum black and adding hoods / tents where appropriate will definitely help you control those stray reflections.

Excellent.

-- Jim