Alternative to drawer slides

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Pantagruel

Alternative to drawer slides

Post by Pantagruel »

While I was at Harbor Freight Tools a few days ago, I ran into some ball-bearing rollers for $0.99 each and installed them on the bottom of my cradle.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/ite ... egoryName=
The 5/8" can hold up to 55 lbs., the 1" up to 110.
Attachments
Bottom of cradle and top with wood strips as blocks
Bottom of cradle and top with wood strips as blocks
ballbearings.JPG (209.35 KiB) Viewed 15976 times
univurshul

Re: Alternative to drawer slides

Post by univurshul »

That is indeed a reduction in weight. But it looks like structural 'guides' are required for this if the goal one or two directional vector(s) on gravity-fed applications only.

If weight is a concern, I've located aluminum slides here: (http://www.jonathanengr.com/light-duty- ... -c-44.html)
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

For me, weight wouldn't be the concern. I'm using my scanner outside, where dust and grit is a concern, and I've found that slides tend to stop sliding over time in that environment. I'm just using wheels now, the kind that are used in closet doors and patio doors, and they seem to work fine.

My concern with the ball bearings is that I don't see how you're putting them in a track. The cradle should only move from side to side, and I don't understand how you're preventing it from moving forward and backward as well.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

spamsickle wrote:For me, weight wouldn't be the concern. I'm using my scanner outside, where dust and grit is a concern, and I've found that slides tend to stop sliding over time in that environment. I'm just using wheels now, the kind that are used in closet doors and patio doors, and they seem to work fine.

My concern with the ball bearings is that I don't see how you're putting them in a track. The cradle should only move from side to side, and I don't understand how you're preventing it from moving forward and backward as well.
Maybe we should approach with a cylinder-tube-and-sliding-collar-movement design; like a wanna-be hydraulic bar without the hydraulics. The collar is made of plastic nylon and doesn't use ball bearings or grease to move freely (maybe a little white lithium grease if any; I've seen these sliders operate 'dry' too).
Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel »

spamsickle wrote:For me, weight wouldn't be the concern. I'm using my scanner outside, where dust and grit is a concern, and I've found that slides tend to stop sliding over time in that environment. I'm just using wheels now, the kind that are used in closet doors and patio doors, and they seem to work fine.

There are two strips of wood in parallel to guide the base. The outside edges of the bearing housings ride against the inner edges of the strips. You can barely see one at the bottom of the uptilted base in the photo. The base can be lifted easily from these "rails" or outer guides that capture the assembly and prevent forward and backward movement.
Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel »

I forgot to mention that Harbor Freight also sells tool-box liner for about $2.95. It consists of a 2' x 1.5" sheet that is just the right size to cover the cradle.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Pantagruel, are those single sheets or a roll?
Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel »

Sorry for the long delay in responding. It's a single sheet, packaged rolled up.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

Here's the latest linear guide rail I'm using on the systems I build: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 235wt_1008

THK FBW/FBW2560R Linear Bearing Guide Slide Rail Pack

Weight: 1.01 lbs/ 458.1g
Weight w/2 carriages: 13.5 oz/ 382.7g

I only use 1 guide rail w/2 carriages spaced on a fabricated bracket collar off the scanner's spine.

22"/560mm guide rail

All other specs in the URL link are accurate. I like that the tracks can be cut to length, and they supply each track with 3 carriages.

Although the carriages can become dirty over time, they are very easy to remove, clean, re-grease and re-install. A serviceable linear slide.

On vertical lift systems (or when mounted on their sides), I recommend removing the slide periodically and rotating the carriage 180 degrees back into the guide rail to control even wear over the life of the carriage. (The carriages are symmetrical).

I am looking into dry aluminum linear guides next. If anyone's ever used these, let me know. Application: vertical lift platen assemblies.
Attachments
IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0023.jpg (209.48 KiB) Viewed 15457 times
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg (273.04 KiB) Viewed 15457 times
Innov8r

Harbor Freight Tool link for Roller Bearings

Post by Innov8r »

Harbor Freight Tools changed their website, here is a working link to the roller bearings mentioned by Pantagruel.

5/8" Roller Ball Bearing Item # 67067
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-8-roller ... aring.html

Description of Harbor Freight 67067
Build your own mobile base and roller work table.
* Multidirectional
* 5/8" diameter steel roller ball bearing

Alternately, we might be also be interested in a pair of cylindrical Rollers so it only rolls left and right, not the other ways.

12-1/2" Roller and Bracket Set Item # 30026 Manufacturer: Pittsburgh
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-1-2-hal ... 30026.html

Description of Pittsburgh 30026
Attach to sawhorse or other surface and make your own roller table.
* Avoid the high cost of roller stands by making your own
* Features chrome polished roller, steel bracket, two holes for mounting
Roller diameter: 1-1/4"
Roller length:12-1/2"