From copy stand to scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Pantagruel

From copy stand to scanner

Post by Pantagruel »

The attachment IMG_0202.JPG is no longer available
A colleague in the biology department gave me an old Spiratone copy stand (remember Spiratone from the distant film days?). It has some potentially useful components. The gooseneck arms that hold the two light fixtures (complete with polarizing filters) are just right for mounting the cameras. The camera mount itself, which is a spring-loaded parallelogram design, looks like a fine device for manipulating the platen. The center column that all this mounts on can be used for lighting after I fashion a horizontal arm to attach to its top.
Attachments
IMG_0202.JPG
The copy stand in question, a bit rusty and much neglected.
(215.61 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
IMG_0206.JPG
The parallelogram camera mount.
(305.49 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
IMG_0205.JPG
The gooseneck lamps arms with a camera replacing a lamp.
(372.21 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
IMG_0203.JPG
The lamps detached. The handles unscrew from the socket bases.
(329.14 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Re: From copy stand to scanner

Post by Misty »

Keep us posted on how those filters work. I'd be interested in knowing. Are they meant to be used in conjunction with a polarizing filter on the imaging device?
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Pantagruel

Re: From copy stand to scanner

Post by Pantagruel »

Yes, at least they were on the original setup. I haven't had a chance to find a suitable filter for the camera(s), but I have tried shooting through one of the squares while the other is clamped to the light, and it can, when rotated,cut down on some reflection.