Clemd's DIY build in photos

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Clemd's DIY build in photos

Post by Drake Ravensmith »

I was wondering if you had added your third light yet and could post a pic/comments?

Also, I have a question about your switch. Doesn't it have 4 small batteries in it that will eventually need to be replaced? Is it going to be a problem to remove it from the glue to change them?

Thank you.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Drake Ravensmith wrote:I was wondering if you had added your third light yet and could post a pic/comments?

Also, I have a question about your switch. Doesn't it have 4 small batteries in it that will eventually need to be replaced? Is it going to be a problem to remove it from the glue to change them?

Thank you.
Drake, I have added my third light, and it works very well. (I'll try to post a pic by the end of the day) However, I find that these particular LED lights produce a blue tint on the page in the rendered image, which I adjust in Adobe Light Room 3 with no problem. Tomorrow, though, I'm going to try a different lighting system using the lights found here. You can also order the same light from Amazon.com. The LED's I'm using emit "white" light at 5000-6500 lumens. I'm hoping the new lights will produce between 6000-7500 lumens (If I've got the rating correct). As soon as I figure out how I'm going to mount them, I'll test them, upload a few pics and perhaps even include a few comparison shots of test-pages. I am very satisfied with my end results (wish there was some place for everyone to post samples in order to compare and question each other more); however, I just ran across someone who produced the final Harry Potter book in Rowling's series that TOTALLY blows mine away. I'm having trouble contacting this person, as he/she is a member of a Torrent group that has no means of directly contacting members. (The person's username...in case anyone knows him/her...is BeB1234567 - hope this person doesn't mind me linking him/her here, but this book rocks!)

And for your second question, yest the switch does contain - I believe (5) small batteries that WILL at some point need to be replaced. I don't think the hot-glue will be difficult to remove in order to gain full access to the switch. An exacto knife should do the trick if I need extra help. I'm not too worried about that right now because Frans Van de Kamp said the batteries should be good for about 15,000 "presses", and I'm so happy with this switch and the mount that I'd gladly give him another $35 to build me another one - which I may do anyway since I ordered one cable a little too short.) All in all, I'm satisfied with my build, but I am constantly looking for ways to improve it. BTW, the two LED monitors are a lifesaver and a time saver. I highly recommend them! Glad to have your questions.
Drake Ravensmith

Thank you for your prompt reply. I was excited to make a book scanner when I first ran across this site but it wasn't until I saw your build that I fell in love with the idea. Your scanner really does look professional. I've saved, read, and reread your post several time. I've already got the parts to reproduce your camera arms. Which reminds me, how securely do the conduit clamps affix the microphone arm? They seem like they want to slip down when I press them against the board. Your use of a keyboard slide for the platen was genius. I'm trying to modify it a little but I can only go so far on paper and the guy who's going to help isn't available now until April. Sigh.

I ended up going with the same lights you have and am a little disappointed to hear about the blue but hopefully it won't be a problem for me since I can't afford Adobe Light Room 3 :lol: I actually ended up getting four lights and am still waiting for them to arrive. I'm curious about your desire to get new lights. There are lights identical to the ones you have on ebay which have your desired color temp. Does a higher temp eliminate the blue? What I don't understand is the Amazon link you've provided lists the color temp of the halogens at 5000K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10W-Outdoor-White-L ... 230ea477d7

I was especially interested in the LEDs because of the power savings so I probably wouldn't choose these new lights you've found if they don't work out. Offhand you may be able to mount them by wrapping them in velcro, laying down a velcro strip on you column arm, and then using a long piece to affix them down. If they rattle too much you can put a wood block between them, heat permitting. The light heads should hang off the top with the same adjustability as the leds. Maybe.

Always glad to meet another Potterphile! I really need to reread the seventh book. I pulled an all nighter when I first got it and haven't read it again since. I also obtained a pretty good digital copy so I don't really have an excuse anymore not to. Well, unless you count 400 Doctor Who books as an excuse. Actually I spend too much time working on my scanner plans. I really should just read it so I can sit back and breathe.

I was interested in the Van der Klamp switch but I didn't like the type of batteries, the fact he doesn't sell on ebay, and a few misc other reasons. I see that you've seen my solderless solution but I'm also going to make one of those hub switches and see which one works with my unique setup. Assuming my unique setup actually works. I may even go with he hub just so I don't have any batteries to worry about.

I would like your opinion on the LCD monitors. Another user recently posted a photo of his setup using 7" tft car monitors. I was looking at a similar size solution but he didn't seem all that impressed with the monitors in general since they don't show if the page is slightly out of focus. I should of asked him how he knows if it's in focus in the first place then. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. I look forward to seeing your test shots.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Drake Ravensmith wrote:I ended up going with the same lights you have and am a little disappointed to hear about the blue but hopefully it won't be a problem for me since I can't afford Adobe Light Room 3 :lol: I actually ended up getting four lights and am still waiting for them to arrive. I'm curious about your desire to get new lights. There are lights identical to the ones you have on ebay which have your desired color temp. Does a higher temp eliminate the blue? What I don't understand is the Amazon link you've provided lists the color temp of the halogens at 5000K.
This was a BOMB! I'm keeping the lights I have and will consider getting some with a higher lumen output, 6000-7500K perhaps.
Last edited by clemd973 on 28 Feb 2011, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Drake Ravensmith

Thank you again for your prompt and detailed replies. I have a suggestion for your Van der Klamp switch. Rather than using hot glue, pick up some of that HandiTak poster mounting stuff. If you've never heard of it, it is essentially a yellow sticky clay like substance you can break into small pieces and use to hang and rehang posters, stick down carpet, and basically anything that need to be removed later. You should be able to stick it into your handle, lay down the switch, put some more on top to keep the wires from being pulled on, tape it up, and still safely remove it however many times you like.

I'm afraid I don't understand your new suggestion. The upright platen support is 11"? The right side 2x4 should be 15" instead of 11"? All of the 2x4 in the original instructions are 22 or 12.5 inches so...? The only thing I can think of is you're suggesting that the 22" boards should be 25" while the column should still be 11" from the one side.

Yes, Daniel uses drawer slides on his column but the keyboard slides are brilliant since they take out all the gueswork about whether or not they're being placed evenly. I was quite worried about whether or not my platen would slide smothly if I couldn't get those slides perfectly placed but now it shouldn't be a problem. Also, your modification allows the platen to be removed completely simply be removing the four screws holding the l-shaped pieces on. I decided on using glass for my platen and my build partner is much more at ease gluing the glass on knowing we can simply detach the back once we have made it level.

Do you have any problems with your lights reflecting off your monitors? I do like your nice big monitors but can't seem to find an affordable alternative. My 7" solution seems like it would work by moving the monitors to the front of the scanner to make them easier to see. Another board member said that size matters not since he tested his setup with 19" tft monitors (before going with 7 himself) and didn't see any sort of improvement since the cameras output both live images and taken pics at resolutions too low to tell if the image is slightly out of focus. I did a quick test with my 52" TV and was pretty disappointed to find out he was right. As a limitation of the camera, it can't be helped. I'm just a little mad because the 7" monitors I'm going with were the first ones I wanted to use but I figured I'd go bigger and spent countless hours looking ebay and Amazon over only to find out it doesn't even make a difference.

Potter fans do seem adapt at producing great digital copies. I don't use torrents but I do have five or six copies to pick from so my Kindle is thrilled! I have seen the Motorola notation. Daniel found a new cable that he thought would work but didn't get around to testing. My tests show it's good. I don't know what post proessing software I'm going to use simply becaue I hate learning new software and have therefore been avoiding looking. Not ideal, I know.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Drake Ravensmith wrote:I have a suggestion for your Van der Klamp switch. Rather than using hot glue, pick up some of that HandiTak poster mounting stuff.
That is a great idea. I have a supply drawer in the table I have my scanner mounted to so I'm going to put some in there to use when I need to replace the batteries. Thanks for the thought.
Drake Ravensmith wrote:I'm afraid I don't understand your new suggestion.
Pictures are worth a thousand words!!!
IMG_0007.JPG
Notice the 12.5" piece that the left microphone arm is mounted to. See how it is placed between the two 22" pieces. (Notice the difference in the next photo of the other side of the base.
IMG_0004.JPG
I increased the length of the piece that the right microphone arm is attached to from 12.5" to 15.5" and moved it from BETWEEN the front and rear pieces to CAPPING the front and rear pieces. It's good I haven't painted it yet so you can see the original placement and the new placement of the longer piece in this photo.

By moving this piece, I added about 2" to the amount of movement the cradle can move to the right. What's important here is that you place the platen support arm at a distance of 11" from the left hand side, or maintain it centered on the 22" piece. (No confusion intended here.)
Drake Ravensmith wrote:Yes, Daniel uses drawer slides on his column but the keyboard slides are brilliant since they take out all the gueswork about whether or not they're being placed evenly. I was quite worried about whether or not my platen would slide smothly if I couldn't get those slides perfectly placed but now it shouldn't be a problem.
Now I understand, LOL. Yeah, that was complete coincidence. :oops:
Drake Ravensmith wrote:Also, your modification allows the platen to be removed completely simply be removing the four screws holding the l-shaped pieces on. I decided on using glass for my platen and my build partner is much more at ease gluing the glass on knowing we can simply detach the back once we have made it level.
Totally the idea of the carpenter I worked with, and I must say that it works beautifully. However, the keyboard slides have a built in mechanism that apparently prevents you from pulling it too far and it must be "forced" (with minimal force) all the way up after about 8-10 lifts. (Don't know how else to describe it) This "extra" lift should not be done from the front handle, however, because it puts too much torque on the acrylic/glass. Rather, notice I have a second handle on the back plate of the platen. I use that handle for the "extra" lift because it's more in line with the slides. This "extra" lift simply pushes back the mechanism that limits the full motion of the keyboard slide. I haven't worked toward figuring the work around for that, especially since it's not that big a deal for me. (Again, no confusion intended here)

I chose not to glue the acrylic together because 1) I never got around to it, and 2) I found that it actually works better for me because it gives a little flexibility to the platen, which I believe makes it safer so it doesn't crack under too much pressure, and it seems to "work with" the books a little easier since it gives a little. It allows for a little bit of "play" at the joint if you have to give some over pressure to flatten the pages for some reason.
Drake Ravensmith wrote:Do you have any problems with your lights reflecting off your monitors? I do like your nice big monitors but can't seem to find an affordable alternative. My 7" solution seems like it would work by moving the monitors to the front of the scanner to make them easier to see.
I don't have a problem with that. These monitors seem to use an anti-reflective, or matte finish, for the screen. It's typical of old-school LCD's. I believe they were manufactured in the late 1990's, but work great for my purposes. IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, THE PERSON WHO SOLD ME MINE STILL HAS A FEW SETS FOR SALE.
Drake Ravensmith wrote:Another board member said that size matters not since he tested his setup with 19" tft monitors (before going with 7 himself) and didn't see any sort of improvement since the cameras output both live images and taken pics at resolutions too low to tell if the image is slightly out of focus. I did a quick test with my 52" TV and was pretty disappointed to find out he was right. As a limitation of the camera, it can't be helped. I'm just a little mad because the 7" monitors I'm going with were the first ones I wanted to use but I figured I'd go bigger and spent countless hours looking ebay and Amazon over only to find out it doesn't even make a difference.
Personally, I would prefer clarity over size, but ultimately I would like to have both. However, the larger size simply aides me in orientation of the page. I'm not worried about the image being in or out of focus since the camera has an auto-focus, which I've never had a problem with. The display on the camera is set to display the shot for 4 seconds after taking it, and this allows me to eyeball the image on the monitors to make sure everything is OK before proceeding. With a smaller monitor, I'd have to look a little more intently, which may take more time, which multiplied by a couple hundred pages, increases production time. To each his own, though.
Drake Ravensmith wrote:I don't know what post proessing software I'm going to use simply becaue I hate learning new software and have therefore been avoiding looking. Not ideal, I know.
Too bad you're not a teacher...Adobe Light Room 3 Student/Teacher edition sells for $80. It's worth saving pennies to get it even at regular price.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Drake,

The three light setup: (10W LED)
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
Drake Ravensmith

Pics are fantastic. That is much clearer. Because I like things even I'll probably just increase the 22" boards to 25" which will actually make the entire scanner uneven because the column will be off center, which will throw the earth off it's axis, which will, which will... does not compute, does not compute, DOES NOT COMPUUUUUUUTE!!!! Or whatever.

I was wondering why you had a second handle on the paten. I'm considering a foot pedal on pulleys so hopefully that won't interfere with anythng for me. As an aquarium hobbyist, I chose glass because I've never seen an acrylic tank as clear as a glass one. All five acrylic tanks I've had inevitably collected a series of light scratches just from being bumped or brushed against by things. Since I don't have a saw I guess I should use my extra wood to make a second set of platen pieces just in case I have to replace the platen.

I already ordered my monitors but I got them super cheap so I would appreciate the details for yous nontheless. I would have probably jumped at the opportunity to get them earlier (seriously, they look fantastic) but a recent event beyond my control has tightened my budget recently. At least for the forseeable future. To be honest, I love the idea of these scanners more than the practice so I need to be honest about how much I'm going to use it long term in how much I spend on just setting it up. If it turns out I use it a lot, I wouldn't mind spending money on the software. In the meantime I will book mark it for down the road.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Drake Ravensmith wrote:...That is much clearer. Because I like things even I'll probably just increase the 22" boards to 25" which will actually make the entire scanner uneven because the column will be off center..."
Three inches wont make a big difference with balance, etc.; but it will make a big difference in functionality when scanning thicker books.
Drake Ravensmith wrote:As an aquarium hobbyist, I chose glass because I've never seen an acrylic tank as clear as a glass one...I should use my extra wood to make a second set of platen pieces just in case I have to replace the platen.
I'd like to have a glass platen as well to compare results, but I don't have the time or motivation at the moment, especially since I'm very satisfied with my results to this point.
Drake Ravensmith wrote:I already ordered my monitors but I got them super cheap so I would appreciate the details for yous nontheless. I would have probably jumped at the opportunity to get them earlier (seriously, they look fantastic) but a recent event beyond my control has tightened my budget recently. At least for the forseeable future.
For future reference, the guy who sold me the monitors can be reached at the following email address: l8functionaldesigns@gmail.com. I believe I paid about $65 each.

Can't wait to see your build.

Also, consider documenting your build in pictures as I did. It really helps us who already have scanners to see what ideas other people have when they incorporate their own creativity in making changes, and it helps other such as yourself who are building their first scanner.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

clemd973 wrote: Also, consider documenting your build in pictures as I did. It really helps us who already have scanners to see what ideas other people have when they incorporate their own creativity in making changes, and it helps other such as yourself who are building their first scanner.
Seconding and thirding this. There is no redundancy here - even if you're "just" copying one of these designs, everyone makes their own improvements, and it helps us all when everyone shares. In the case of Clem's thread here, it's helped a *lot* of people and saved a *lot* of trouble and I feel it really helped the New Standard design along. Great stuff and good form.