Post-it note page turner experiment

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Post-it note page turner experiment

Post by daniel_reetz »

I dunno... if that arm could reliably turn thousands of pages, I'd buy it in a minute... :)
Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Antoha-spb »

why shouldn't it?

Mechanically page turning indoors is not a heavy duty action, and the whole thing looks repairable at home

what it needs extra is a suction fan or post-it paper to capture one upper page. And also something that will keep the books with tight bindings open all the time when platen is lifted.

Did here anyone have experience in robotics or CNC programming - is it complicated to get this arm to work?
pav

Post by pav »

Hello,
I never had a courage to post to the forum cause I have not built anything. However, I find the forum fantastically intelectually stimulating - and in the places that others don't reach. Many things I [only] thought of actually got developed by others in this forum so may be I can make sense - just tell me to shut up if I disturb <:-)
A foam pad definitely seems like it would make more reliable contact
Platen makes pretty reliable contact - I think somebody (an Australian?) mentioned they used a 'rubber dot' or something to lift pages. One can position any of the semi-sticky products so that it corresponds to the just right position on a page. Wonder which type of a platten would be the best lifter - parelel motion or angular?
I googlefound some stickies and put the links at the bottom - no product placement intended. You can put`a a search line like:
(removable, restickable, repositionable) (glue, tape, stick)
into the American ebay search box - I'm sure much more will come.

Once the page is lifted something like a strategically positioned helicopter - with only one blade left from the three (sorry Helicopter) could move it to the side and the platen might just finish the job on its way down.

I wouldn't be bothered too much by the sticky pages (cause I don't do anything ;-) ) as long as the unsupervised device does most of the job right it is, IMHO, a giant step. With either OCR or ImageMagick (if not ocr-ed) one can make a program to check the section of pages where the page numbers are. (hasn't actually someone done sth like that in the Software thread?) For OCR-ed these could be checked by a program if any numbers are missing from the order. Not OCR-ed I guess could be flipped fairly fast before one's eyes so one can see the ommissions.

For the new stiff or sticky books - hmm, may be they would improve if only someone would take time to read them? <:-) Other than that may be some bending-flipping might help?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Post--Labelling ... 367&sr=8-1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-SCOTCH-RESTICK ... 1e61b18890

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Herma-Removable-G ... 33658c2206
pav

Post by pav »

oh yeah - and if you do not have a 3M low tack stuff at hand possibly 'licking' the edge of the platen with (not too much) water on a sponge might do something?

Somebody mentioned electric charge (yes, I also think the 'professional' guys may be using it in their video). Rather then connecting a Tesla (could electricute self - or, even worse, the Canons) could one half of the platen rub itself (on movement) against some, purposefully chosen, material? If the platen material is not suitable (glass) perhaps a plastic bit might be added to the frame?
(sorry now I'm really shutting up).
dtic

Post by dtic »

Hi pav. Is this what you mean: a sticky fastened to the outer edge of the platen sticks to the outer margin of the book page and lifts the page? If so then I think there is a dilemma: either the page will unstick or there will be a big risk of turning too many pages at once.
1. when the platen moves up the page will soon unstick. The platen (and sticky note) moves only vertically upwards. But the book page is attached to an axis (the book spine) so it moves upwards AND inwards. That will cause the page to unstick. I added a joint on the page grabbing arm in my prototype in order to avoid that problem, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px3d9aaP9AQ . A platen that uses vacuum can also avoid the problem because the part of the page that sticks to the platen can change as the page moves. Not so with tape/sticky notes.

2. the first problem can be solved by first only moving the page (stickied to the platen) a few centimeters upward. Then a second, side positioned actuator ("helicopter") comes in and turns the page. But that creates another problem: the book pages very often stick together in the beginning of a "page lift". It is then very, very hard to get the side actuator to reliably turn only one page at a time and never turn two or more pages at a time.
TomHorsley

Post by TomHorsley »

In my imagination, I have this device that drops a post-it wrapped "sausage" on the edge of the page, then rolls it a bit, so the weight holds the pages down, but rolling it pulls up the leading edge of the top page. What to do after that gets more complicated and my imagination hasn't provided an elegant answer yet :-)
yamanassaf

Post by yamanassaf »

it's commercially available for cheap price, you just need to modify it a little.
see this link: http://www.pageflip.com/Home_Page.html
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hmm, if you integrated the pageflipper with our laser-based dewarping... we could have... a ... full... auto... scanner...
gnosis

Post by gnosis »

Except it only does 10 pages which has to be loaded manually. Can't imagine it would be significantly faster than the manual way.
Set up 10 sheets of a book in under one minute for uninterrupted hands-free reading of 20 pages (2 pages / sheet). There is no need to stop playing your musical instrument or to wait for a care-giver to turn the next page.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Had I read the page at all,I would have seen that. No wonder it is marketed as a music page flipper.